the odd sizes. I know that a macho under 7" pops really good and that
a smaller set is way more comfortable in between your legs. Back in
the day most bongos were a bit smaller than today's bongos. Got
to give it to LP they make a good bongo and did a great job with
the 50th anniversary LP bongo.
RitmoBoricua

Re: 50th Anniversary LP bongos Los Originales

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks for the compliments, yes refurbishing those LPs was a lot of elbow grease,
but worth the effort. They are my source of pride :-)

RitmoBoricua wrote:The only reason I would buy a 50th anniversary LP bongo is because
the odd sizes. I know that a macho under 7" pops really good and that
a smaller set is way more comfortable in between your legs. Back in
the day most bongos were a bit smaller than today's bongos. Got
to give it to LP they make a good bongo and did a great job with
the 50th anniversary LP bongo.

You´re dead right,a smaller macho is really nice, which is why I dig my Raúl bongó with its 6 3/4" macho so much.

Btw it is nice chatting with someone like you who cherishes those good old LP bongos as much as I do. :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Mike,

I am happy with vintage LP gear that's what it was in vogue
and most cats played back in the day in my neck of the woods.

Since LP is celebrating 50 years here is an LP Generation III, I customized last year.
Attachments
IMAG0528.jpg
Customized LP Generation 3 (glitter over textured black)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Here is a 1964 ( 50 years) that I bought many years ago from Juan Mendez, who was Johnny Pacheco's bongosero in the 60's. I had these bongos for over 20 years. The labels reads Maywood, NJ, before Palisades Park. Very light weight, awesome projection.
post-2-19185-MVC_011F.jpg
Omelenko1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Dario, Do you think that bongo was used on those first
Fania recordings in the mid 60's that of course were
of Pacheco's conjunto.
RitmoBoricua

Postby El Magnifico » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Dario, Do you think that bongo was used on those first
of Pacheco's conjunto.

Sorry to step into the conversation...mmmmm, it could be but during the 60's Valje was really strong. After Cohen grew his company to commecial status, then LP became the standard. That's what I remember.
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 pm

El Magnifico wrote:Sorry to step into the conversation...mmmmm, it could be but during the 60's Valje was really strong. After Cohen grew his company to commecial status, then LP became the standard. That's what I remember

No problem. Gon Bops and Valje were in the game before LP came into the picture
no doubt. LP was at the right place at the right time. How is Luquillo doing? I have
great memories of that area Naguabo, Ceiba, Fajardo, Luquillo, Rio Grande, Canovanas,
and Loiza. Suavena...........
RitmoBoricua

Postby Kaban » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:29 am

Those Vintage LPs look great! I'll be getting me a 50th anniversary bongo in the near future.
Kaban

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 pm

El Magnifico wrote:
of Pacheco's conjunto.

These bongos were used in the "Viva Africa" Pacheco recording of the 60's as well as other Pacheco and El Conde recordings. Juan Mendez was also the bongocero for Roberto Torres, Papaito, Alfredo Valdes and was part of SAR All Stars. These bongos were used with all these artists and their recordings. Juan Mendez is behind Pacheco to the right.
114107841.jpg
Omelenko1

Postby El Magnifico » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:
El Magnifico wrote:
of Pacheco's conjunto.

These bongos were used in the "Viva Africa" Pacheco recording of the 60's as well as other Pacheco and El Conde recordings. Juan Mendez was also the bongocero for Roberto Torres, Papaito, Alfredo Valdes and was part of SAR All Stars. These bongos were used with all these artists and their recordings. Juan Mendez is behind Pacheco to the right.
114107841.jpg

Oh, yes! It could be, as every bongocero has its own preferences, but the real LP market dominiom came in the 70's due to Cohen's commercial vision. He started signing all the best percussionist around and it's no brainer why he controlled the percussion's arena. Valje and Gon Bops were the defacto percussion instrument of the 60's, but unfortunately the distribution and exposition of these brands were limited. Otherwise, the story could be completely different. I believe that the main difference between Cohen and Bobadilla/Flores combo is that the first was a merchant artisan while the others 2 were just that: excellent artisans.

Paz y Amor!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks Dario you the man.
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

[quote="El MagnificoOh, yes! It could be, as every bongocero has its own preferences, but the real LP market dominiom came in the 70's due to Cohen's commercial vision. He started signing all the best percussionist around and it's no brainer why he controlled the percussion's arena. Valje and Gon Bops were the defacto percussion instrument of the 60's, but unfortunately the distribution and exposition of these brands were limited. Otherwise, the story could be completely different. I believe that the main difference between Cohen and Bobadilla/Flores combo is that the first was a merchant artisan while the others 2 were just that: excellent artisans. Paz y Amor![/quote]

It seems to me that Mr. Cohen understood the concept that a firm enters the market to turn a profit, no other reason. LP was founded at the right place and time. I say this because as we know NYC has been the focal point of all the music and rhythms that came from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, and Santo Domingo etc. in the United States. As you see LP is/was way closer to NYC than Gon Bops and Valje which were located in California. Another company was founded in 1964 that had a profound effect in the music business, Fania records. Fania records was founded in NYC and it was one of the main forces behind the Salsa movement. I am pretty sure LP benefitted greatly from the Salsa boom especially since the movement was launched and based out of NYC. The close proximity of LP (New Jersey) to NYC probably made LP instruments more cost effective than buying Gon Bops or Valje. Imagine how much you saved on shipping cost alone. Also some of them Gon Bops and Valjes drums had problems with the east coast weather, staves came apart, wood split etc. LP back in the day was not producing wood congas they were making fiberglass congas, it was a no brainer to buy an LP fiberglass conga vice a Gon Bops or Valje wood congas. I mean LP fiberglass could take a beating and keeping on ticking the same could not be said about Gon Bops and Valjes wood congas on the east coast. Them older Palisades Park fiberglass congas still are some of the most after sought congas, especially by the working musician because they sound good and are very durable. Also I would think LP sold a little bit of fiberglass congas just on the account that they appeared on the album covers of a couple of Ray Barretto’s recordings. I remember back in those days in my neck of the wood the kids that played congas all they wanted was them LP fiberglass congas. There are other reasons why LP became “Numero 1” like innovations etc.
RitmoBoricua

Postby El Magnifico » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:03 pm

I agree with you 100% ! Lack of exposition and distributorship killed Valje and Gon Bops. LP took a window of opportunity and capitalized it! Their products were also very good...we can't deny that.

Rumba!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:29 pm

... and like you said once LP got percussionists on the roster
of the caliber of Tito Puente, Patato, Jose Mangual Sr., Candido,
Willie Bobo Etc you knew they were onto something.
RitmoBoricua

Previous

Return to Bongo