Remember which bongo used Angelito from La Sonora Ponceña?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Remember which bongo used Angelito from La Sonora Ponceña?

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Guys, can somebody tell me what kind of bongó used to play Angelito when playing with La Sonora in the 80's? Some people says it was El Piernas. Others Pan Con Queso. I don't really know what it was but what I do remember was the very dry and thick sound of both drums. When you looked at the drums, both were small and the difference between the hembra and macho were not that big!

Cheers!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Re: Remember which bongo used Angelito from La Sonora Ponceñ

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:22 am

You can be almost sure Angelito used more than one kind
of bongos during his tenure with La Sonora Poncena. Now
you may want to ask that question to somebody like "Little
Johnny" that was actually there playing congas with La
Sonora Poncena during those times, by the way you can find
Little Johnny on Facebook. Take Care.
RitmoBoricua

Postby maelopr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:25 am

Hi from PR.. Angelito is actually a good friend of mine, I spoke with him a bit earlier and having seen this post I asked him what he used back in the day. He told me he had an ooold, rustic Timbas Ismael he used quite a.bit, it had smaller heads and like you described they were both almost same size, maybe an inch in difference. He also mentioned he used JCR LP and LP fiberglass, all had thicker skins as that was what was available at the time...hope this helps
¡ ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Postby El Magnifico » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am

maelopr wrote:Hi from PR.. Angelito is actually a good friend of mine, I spoke with him a bit earlier and having seen this post I asked him what he used back in the day. He told me he had an ooold, rustic Timbas Ismael he used quite a.bit, it had smaller heads and like you described they were both almost same size, maybe an inch in difference. He also mentioned he used JCR LP and LP fiberglass, all had thicker skins as that was what was available at the time...hope this helps

Thank you! I do remember the Timbas Ismael bongos...most of his recordings were done with this bongo. Thanks!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Return to Bongo