Feedback on these bongos.....?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Feedback on these bongos.....?

Postby Ebongo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 am

What do you think of LP Dandy bongos, LP Giovanni bongos, and Meinl Woodcraft bongos? Do you like them? How have you found each one to handle/feel, and sound?
Ebongo

Re: Feedback on these bongos.....?

Postby Psych1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I've had all three, so--

I had a Woodcraft, with the 9' head and trad hardware, for many years. It lived in my car as my "just in case" bongo. It sounded great - a big sound, and the stock skins were OK. But it is heavy and the silly center block means you can't adjust the hardware for comfort. I always used a stand with it - the Meinl TMC. I recently sold it.

The Gio is a more standard size. The wood is gorgeous. I didn't like the hardware - I changed it to the black Matador hardware. I also didn't like the stock LP skins so I changed that to real cow. Some complain about the bearing edge - I didn't have a problem with it. It sounded OK but I much prefer my old PP LPs. I finally passed it on - it ended up costing me the most but it is now in good hands.

I like most things about the "Dandy" It is not heavy, very comfortable to hold and play, good contrast between the heads, great hardware. Sounds good but not as "big/loud" as the Woodcraft. I don't play it much but I like it when I do. One of these days - I'll change the heads and strip off that plastic-looking finish. Of the three, I recommend this one.
Psych1

Postby caballoballo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I use to have the Dandy and IMHO it is the best Lp bongo right now. The hembra is a true 9“ size & the factory skins on the one I had were better than on other Lp. Now, on any bongo the hembra skin need to be at least 1/8“ thick to produce a good sound.

The Meinl I found the wood to be too thin plus that free ride device in the center it is just something which I don't think have any effect at all. Why, because when you sit in the middle of a 10 or 12 musician band like. I do you won't hear a difference.. Also the center wood block is more reliable.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I still like the old wood bongos. I have 4: one 30+ years old LP that I have a real head on the Hembra and a Remo Skyndeep on the macho. I'm still using the original hardware! Good and loud sound, crispy slaps and not that heavy. The Timba is 9" and 7". A conga head on the hembra and another Remo Skyndeep on the macho. The hembra has a very lound, big and profound sound but it's too heavy! I used it last Friday with Balajú playing at Puerto del Rey in Fajardo, PR and everybody loves the sound. My Gon Bops are from 1974, the Pro series, and they feel like a toy bongo: very light, smaller and excellent to play alive! Nice crispy sound with Evans heads. The one that I use for recording is the 3 A from Colombia with real thick heads! One piece drums, but the heads kill your hands and that's why I only use it in the studio. The sound is something else, BUT, for live jigs I rather use the LP or Gon Bops.

Cheers! :o
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Postby Ebongo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 am

You have a very nice set. I use Moperc bongo and know about extra weight too, but the great sound is worth it. I am looking into HR ElPiernas bongos, but also considering 3A.

I am looking at a new LP giovanni or dandy, mainly to use with Remo heads.

El Magnifico wrote:I still like the old wood bongos. I have 4: one 30+ years old LP that I have a real head on the Hembra and a Remo Skyndeep on the macho. I'm still using the original hardware! Good and loud sound, crispy slaps and not that heavy. The Timba is 9" and 7". A conga head on the hembra and another Remo Skyndeep on the macho. The hembra has a very lound, big and profound sound but it's too heavy! I used it last Friday with Balajú playing at Puerto del Rey in Fajardo, PR and everybody loves the sound. My Gon Bops are from 1974, the Pro series, and they feel like a toy bongo: very light, smaller and excellent to play alive! Nice crispy sound with Evans heads. The one that I use for recording is the 3 A from Colombia with real thick heads! One piece drums, but the heads kill your hands and that's why I only use it in the studio. The sound is something else, BUT, for live jigs I rather use the LP or Gon Bops.

Cheers! :o
Ebongo

Postby El Magnifico » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:33 pm

(You have a very nice set. I use Moperc bongo and know about extra weight too, but the great sound is worth it. I am looking into HR ElPiernas bongos, but also considering 3A.

I am looking at a new LP giovanni or dandy, mainly to use with Remo heads.) Ebongo

You wouldn't be dissapointed with 3A. It's light, nice construction but the heads are real thick Mule heads. The sound is amazing, specially for recording. As a matter of fact: Jose Lugo from Guasabara, keep a 3A in his recording studio for that purposes. No matter how good the "plastics" are for live gigs, the real skyns offer a warmer sound and it's highly noticeable when recording.

With all honesty, besides my original 70's LP Bongó, I'm not interested in any other LP. I'm also looking for one El Piernas.

Rumba!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Postby Ebongo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:51 am

Would you know the web link for 3A ?
I have a solid wood bongo (ManitoPercussion) and it is top quality, light weight, projects well, all around fine craftsmanship. Modern lp is not at the top of my favorites, but the dandy looks good, and it is on remo's list for compatibility. I generally prefer the sound of good natural heads, but, synthetic has a distinct sound that is nice to have the option for anytime.--but i just hope i don't get too accustomed to the softer surface lol.
Ebongo

Postby tamboricua » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Here is a set LP is bringing in 2014 as part of the company 50 Anniversary.

http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/LP-Percussion---LP-1964-Original-Bongos---NEW-48771

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

JG
tamboricua

Postby caballoballo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Saludos, like I said in a previous post the Dandy is the best Lp bongo right now. Beautiful made .The giovanny has an awful bearing edge cut on an angle that really hurt your hands(somebody call that the iron pot design) and also the factory skins are paper thin thus adding cost because you will have to buy new heads to make him sound decent. The Dandy, believe me, comes with a thick skin on the hembra and a thin one on the Macho. If you look at some of my older post you will notice that for the hembra I use a thick natural skin. Remo skindeep,nuskin or fyberskin do not produce a good old school sound on the hembra.I have use them all.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Ebongo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 am

What do you think about Tycoon 30th Anniversary bongos, and tycoon master series bongos?
Ebongo

Postby PowerSemantic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks for posting the 50th anniversary bongo link, tamboricua!

The head sizes are the same as my recently sold Toca Rafael Padilla model bongos. Should be a high and dry set!

Happy new year,

Adam
PowerSemantic

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Ebongo wrote:What do you think about Tycoon 30th Anniversary bongos, and tycoon master series bongos?

I haven't heard those personally but they look beautiful indeed!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm

tamboricua wrote:Here is a set LP is bringing in 2014 as part of the company 50 Anniversary.

http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/LP-Percussion---LP-1964-Original-Bongos---NEW-48771

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

JG

Beautiful set! I think I would give it a shot later on...
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Return to Bongo