My visit to Timbas del Valle

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:36 pm

Bongoceros,

Today I went to visit Timbas Del Valle. The reason I visit him was to see if he can make a 7" & 9" Mahogany Bongó and to a specific set of measurements (5\8 thick wood,stainless steel hardware). We spoke about his experience as an artisan making Congas,Bongos,Plena Panderetas and Barriles for Bomba. He has been doing that work and repairs of instrument like those listed above for the past 20 years. The way he spokes reflects the experience he has. He show me a set of conga he is making from barrels of Rum (good Flavor Bacardi) for a client,he has one which is 3/4 of the way in progress and the other which is much further behind so you can see how a raw material is becoming a beautiful hand instrument. He also show me a wooden Bongó made from Teak which he made about 10 years ago,was like an experiment he was conducting but the sound is deep and crisp. Today experience was like and interview,I sounded like a reporter where I ask questions to prove his knowledge and he answered like somebody who knows a lot about how to do a quality instrument plus showed me his work in progress.

He told me that a good quality instrument takes time to be made because of the details that the finish product should have in order to please him and to please the most important part who is the client, a good job speaks by himself. I told him to contact me as soon as he has the set of Congas finish so I can post a picture of them on this Forum. He is going to start making the Bongó during the month of January so that other picture have to wait. Pa encima Rumberos.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby onile » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:50 pm

Alafia Caballoballo!
Espero que todo este bien contigo mi pana!

¡Chacho! Me imagino que fue una experiencia tremenda.
You know, I had placed an order back in the 90's (la memoria se me va), for a set of Fat Congas, it actually took two years for me to finally get them. Dejame decirte, they were well worth the wait!

The drums not only look incredible, the sound tremendous, but even better than that, in my opinion, they are the lightest weighing set of drums I own. You can look at the craftsmanship of Rick Buscemi (the owner), and tell that he spent endless hours crafting each drum!

So when you say "He told me that a good quality instrument takes time to be made because of the details that the finish product should have in order to please him and to please the most important part who is the client", that is very true and impressive!

“¡Adelanté, tu ve que sigo adelante!”

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Return to Bongo