Evans heads - Just fitted some...

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mjw » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:23 am

Hi all,

First post for me in the bongo area...

..fitted some Evans synthetic heads to my bongos yesterday (Meinl Marathons) and they sound fantastic - great cracking notes from the macho - nice solid lower tones from the hembra (though I did use an elastoplast to eliminate some overtone/ring).

I'll be gigging them every night this week, so I'll let everyone know how they stand up.

Anyone else had much experience (good/bad) with these heads?
mjw

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:31 am

The complaints I've heard, and I've had, about Evans' heads is that they do not provide a good volume. (This is for congas or bongos).

But if you like the sound that is fine!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mjw » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:57 am

Had a fun week with these heads - tuned them when I mounted them on the drum on saturday - put them on a plane to Japan on the monday/tuesday (long flight..:( )
Gigged them on Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat, then on a plane back to the UK on the sunday. Played them again when I got home and they still sound great - i haven't touched the tuning since I put them on the drums.

I know people have had reservations about these heads, but my experience with them so far has been pretty positive.

PS. I WON'T be trying the conga heads - I've heard too many bad things about them (overtones etc).
mjw

Postby TigerBongo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 am

Yo Mjw,

I bought some evans bongo heads recently too - and have put one on the Macho on my Meinl Bongos - very impressd - good projection, nice high pitch and intonation.

It don't think the evans conga heads would be that bad - I've got a couple of compact congas (that I use for practise etc) - and they sound pretty good on those drums....a little ringy - but nothing a little duct tape can't fix!!

TB
TigerBongo

Postby mjw » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:34 pm

Hhhmm - maybe I'll give them a go....the manager (and the drum dept supervisor) of my local music store are both aspiring congueros and never mind me 'borrowing' the odd bit of kit now and again - though this has normally been for hardware rather than skins. I'll ask nicely....:D

Cheers.
mjw

Return to Bongo