Very dissapointed with sound

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:56 am

Hola Bongoceros,

Yesterday was my first time playing using my new Bongó with Nuskyn heads. It was a waste of money investing on those heads,the volume of boths drums is very dull to the point that I have to hit it harder to try to add volume to their sound. Also the feeling on my hands is different than with Fyberskin,I mean it hurt to hit those heads. With my other Bongó which has Fyberskin it is easier to obtain that particular volume and street sound that I like plus you don't feel your hands uncorfortable after playing. I be switching to Fyberskin on the macho and to natural thicker skin on the hembra if I can't find a 9" Fyberskin as soon as tomorrow,we have a gig on Sunday. On the other side,the Conguero and Timbalero were amaze by the quality of the Pear Elite,both of then told me that Pearl beat LP Brand in quality,hardware and craftmanship,the only thing they found negative is that the Pearl Elite Bongó is Heavy.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:45 pm

The experience you have with NuSkyns, I had it before. Yes, the macho is crisp but still doesn't project as I like it. Fyberskins are the closest to a natural sound. (Have to admit that the other day I was rehearsing with the Barreto band and had a chance to play a nice sounding non Pearl bongo that had natural heads and now have the temptation to go back to natural in one of my sets....The sound was great)!.

Regarding the Pearl Elite Bongos....yes, we are pushing to have a model with traditional rims for the seated player...Supposedly, they are working on it....Pearl is also coming with some surprises in regards to congas and bongos..."classic style" is what is coming....Can't talk about it but is coming....

Again, enjoy your new Pearl Elite bongos!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Here am I with my Pearl Elite..Richie Flore Signature Bongos...Fyberskins on them....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 520010.JPG
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:12 pm

Here with Fyberskins.....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 500008.JPG
Raymond

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:44 pm

Vaya Raymond,

Talking about traditional rims,I hope they do because it is more comfortable to me than the comfort one. I mean it is easier to maintain the instrument between the legs for the seated player. If they do I'll be swithching quickly. I wonder why is the tendency to offer most models regarding of the brand with the confort rim instead of having both options ? .To me the traditional one looks better. Yesterday I notice that I was hiting the rim with my right hand small finger,something that does not happen with the traditional rim,I guess I have to get use to that. How easy was to install the fyberskin heads in comparison with the nuskyn ? I ask beacuse fiberskyn is tucket better than nuskyn. Anyway I am taking the Bongó to the store to see.Thanks
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:21 pm

The move to comfort rims by most companies have to do with the influence of multiple instruments percussionists that the comfort rims are welcome because you are less prone to hurt yourself by hitting a bongo in a stand. (The same is with congas).

Of course, with congas there is no problem for the latin player because if he/she plays congas seated it should not be a problem in regards to the ergonomics and safety of playing. However, with bongos is a different story. The seated bongo player with comfort rims has a longer "bridge" in the middle, to accomodate for the additional space the comfort rims occupy, plus the comfort rims are much heavier. If you are used to play with traditional rims with a shorter brigde you have the drums closer. For the seated bongo player going with comfort rims, besides dealing with the additional weight, he/she have to deal with a little more distance between the drums.

Is something the "gurus" at the percussion companies apparently have decided to do apparently based in what the "multiple instruments percussionists" have provided in feedback. For example, LP has a great variety of colors and designs in Gen II bongos but the problem is that they are with comfort rims. Only they offer, wine and natural colors with traditional rims. Sorry to say, Pearl does not offer traditional rims yet...but we are pushing it hard...Believe me!

Here the latin player has been relegated and forgotten....I will not be surprised in a near future the traditional rims are gone in some companies...

Regarding placing Fyberskins...As mentioned to you, sometimes they do not fit exact and you have to play with it to make it fit properly. (Remember, we do not know what Remo utilizes as a mold to make their heads and is likely to ocurr fitting problems because most companies follow the sizes but they could have slight variations in the design that vary from one company to another and will not make the head fit exact). Again, play it, place in the middle, make sure the rim cover the hole head, if you see a little bit of the metal ring of the head is not there yet, and put that rim and be careful the head "does not move." (Sometimes, despite of that, the head moves while tuning and you could still see the metal part of the head ring of the Fyberskin..Have to deal with it)

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1126798052
Raymond

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:49 pm

I have no problem with the size because I have long legs and long arms,weight,the Valje is also kind of heavy. The only problem is the sound of the nuskyn heads but it is something I know Junnior at Ismael Timba could fix with either naturals or synthetic skins. I am inclined more to go with a natural skin on the Hembra but first I be asking Junnior about his opinion.

Pa' encima Rumbero
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:06 pm

Vaya Raymond....what have u heard? i am also a Pearl Artist-8 years and I haven't heard a thing about "new" congas...can u share with us that info and where did u get it from>>Glen??....en paz.."JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... chards.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:26 pm

JC,

Write me and I give you details I was given....(the e-mail here for me is the correct one. I've tried yours but apparently does not work).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Yo my email is [email]johnnyconga@hotmail.com...paz..[/email]"JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby bongomikee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:20 pm

Hi all,

caballoballo,
After reading your post I'm glad I didn't order the over priced nuskyns. (Sorry to hear that u wasted good money man!)Instead I went for a fibreskyn for my 9" hembra. Was gona get a mule skin from Isaac at funky traditions (funkytradition@yahoo.com) (Cyrus from bongomania also has some really good cow skins) as they sound awesome. I have mules on my meinl headliners but picked up a set of brand new Meinl FWB500's (Meinls top of the range) in zebra ash last wkend for $100! Bargain! (I've attached a pic) The standard factory hembra always has that annoying ring. The macho isn't too bad when cranked up so I'll keep that for abit. Lookin forward 2 the fibreskyn thou!

Speaking of traditional rims, I prefer traditional rims too. I defo think they look better and its easier to mount your own skins on if you choose to. Its all down 2 personal preference at the end of the day but like Raymond said
"Here the latin player has been relegated and forgotten....I will not be surprised in a near future the traditional rims are gone in some companies..."
I hope this never happens! Whatever happened 2 keepin it old skool?

Btw, another great group for info and tracks is the yahoo bongo group.

Happy playin guys!
Best,
Mikee

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 0ZFA_M.jpg
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:00 pm

Hello BongoMikee, Yes ,it was a waste investing on those heads but now my sound is the way I wanted with the fyberskin. I do not know why I choose the nuskins because my other Bongó has Fyberskin and a friend of told me about the dull sound of the nuskins ,I don't know where was my thinking. Anyway that Meiln is a nice Bongó,I wish they could have the option of the wood block because there are some people including me which are traditionals and the free ride look strange to us but I did check on it before I selected the Elite. Does the free ride makes the Bongó too flexible like some peole said on others posts? I also don't like too much the confort rim on my Pearl Elite so I talked to Andy from the DrumsWork and gave him the part number of your rims so I may replace the rims on the Elite using Meiln Rims but I have to wait on andy to send me a quote. Enjoy your Bongó it is a good quality piece of art. I remember playing one wich was about 30 years old with a 7" macho and 9" hembra & wooden block but the owner did not want to sell it even though I offered my Valje and some money.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby bongomikee » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:36 pm

caballoballo,

Yeah I know what u mean about wantin the old drums.....old skool drums r da best!

I'm touching Cuba next summer so I hope 2 come across some real old skool drums! U know da ones with 5" macho and 6" hembra. Real old skool!

I'll let u know how the drums sound once I have the fibreskyns.

Answer 2 your question about the freeride thing....doesnt really effect the drum I dont think. Looks different but thats OK for me.

Best,
Mikee
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Postby franc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 am

raymond,
hola mi pana!! tell me where did you buy that nice pearl bongo case i see in your picture you posted. my best, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Franc,

I got my bongos directly from Pearl. (This is prior of me becoming an endorser). Those are the Richie Flores Signature Bongos Had them over a year now.

I know Villa Music in Santurce has a set that was "slightly used" during the El Negro-Richie Flores clinic of about a month ago... (Get the internet price and Villa will honor it).

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Bongo