Old Meinl Bongó

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:42 am

Hola Bongoceros,

About 3 weeks ago I went to Ismael Timba Store in Bayamon Puerto Rico to see if they have some ready mounted heads for the hembra of my Valje. The guy there show me an old I mean old Meinl Bongó set. They look about 30 years old, 7" macho and a 9" hembra,very thick wood and the chrome was starting to peel off,what a sound.The Bongó had fiber skin mounted on both sides and I tell you,the hembra had so much of a beautiful deep sound. Anyway I decided to make an offer to buy it but the owner told me No Way José. I was willing to trade my Bongó for that Vintage piece because I knew the guy at the store could restore that Bongó. I wish Meinl could offer the option of the wooden center block instead of the free ride. I just don't like the look of their Bongós with the free ride even though they are of good quality.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby bongomikee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:55 pm

Hola Junior!

I know what u mean about the freeride thing but the most important thing for me is the sound.

I have a set of Meinl FWB500 woodcraft series, I was going to get the FFB400 in fibreglass but I came across the 500's at a drum exhibition in London last wkend and they only cost £70! Approx $100 so I had to snap them up.

The hembra has an annoying ring (as u get with most new factory made drums) but I've ordered a remo fibreskyn for it so that should sort that out.

Take care.

Mikee
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:31 pm

A $100,wow, that Bongó cost is about $262 U.S at the drumsworks. I wish I could get a sale like that. I am thinking of having Timbas del valle make me a wooden Bongó 7.25" & 9" with traditional rims and of Mahogany. If the price is good I do it. I want it to resemble the Valje but with the bigger Hembra.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby bongomikee » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:25 pm

Hi Caba,

Yes it was a bargain so I had 2 buy them! They had 3 other Meinls FFB400's for the same price.

Its nice 2 have a 9" hembra.

Good luck in gettin the drums made up!

Mikee
Mikee
London UK
bongomikee

Return to Bongo