New Pearl Elite in,need advise from endorsers

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:13 am

Yes, I went to the post office and got it. My first impression,
heavier than the Valje and very well built. Now, was a pain to install the Nuskyn Macho head because it is tucket and did not went easy into the confort rim. Talkin about the Nuskyn heads sound, it is not the same as with the FyberSkin sound I get from the Valje,I did compare their sound and is kind of dull but very comparable with the sound of natural skins . I been trying to get the deep lower tone from the hembra but I am not too please of the sound reproduce by the Nuskyn head ,I guest I need some more time for tunning and to get myself adjusted to the new Bongó or maybe I go over Ismael Timba workshop In Bayamon and have them install a thicker natural cowhide to get the sound I want. Pearl endorsers, what is your advise ?
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm

First of all, synthetic heads do not fit exactly all models specially with comfort rims. (Worst with Fyberkins without a ring).

Also, Pearl Elites are 7 inch macho and 9 inches hembra. I know in Fyberskins there is not a 7 inch macho, actually is 7.15 macho but fits, and there is 9 for the hembra. Don't know if the same is with NuSkyn. (Most bongos including LP Gen II are 7 1/2 and 8 3/4).

You have with NuSkyns what I do not like about them...the hembra is hard to tune and I do not get a good bassy sound. (I have big hands and is tough to get the bassy sound with NuSkyns)... Very crisp in the macho but the sound is duller than with Fyberskins...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby caballoballo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks Raymond,sometimes we learn by trial and error. I don't know why I choose the nuskyns because some Timberos and Bongoceros told me about the sound and I do like the fyberskin sound I get from my other Bongó. Anyway I have a matador fiberglass which belong to a friend and he wants to install nusking so is easy to put the nusking macho on his Bongó and I guess I be using the hembra as a freesbee. I think I read on 1 of your post that you have Fyberskin mounted on your Pearl Bongó, how is the sound of the hembra ? Like I said ,I be going over Ismael Timba to get a thicker natural skin mounted on the hembra and fyberskin on the macho. I be using the Pearl Bongó for the first time tonight at the band rehersal,that way I get the opinion from the Conguero and Timbalero.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:39 pm

How is the sound of the hembra in my Pearl Elites??? Great because I have Fyberskins. Thin heads do not give me a good sound in the hembra (at least before the break in). The same happens with NuSkins...I have it in one of my bongos..(from another brand)...

NuSkyns are supposed to be the contrary to Fyberskins, more subtle sound....

Enjoy your Pearl Elites...give us feedback...

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Bongo