SKYNDEEP OR NUSKIN ON HEMBRA???

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

SKYNDEEP OR NUSKIN ON HEMBRA???

Postby JOHNNY6 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 am

I put a skyndeep on the macho head,and I am very happy with it,but the other day I was playing outside in our humid south florida weather,and the natural skin hembra kept giving me tuning problems,so I figured I am going to put another synthetic skin on the hembra as well on that particular bongo so when I play outside on humid days,I will use these....The question is which synthetic skin to put on the hembra??? I had tried fyberskin on hembra ,and I did not like it,I could go w/skyndeep or hembra,but I was thinking that Nuskin might be better for hembra,for more of a sound contrast....Has anybody here experimented with skyndeep and nuskin on hembra? and which 1 do u prefer(I am familiar w/Nuskin but only on macho...).As usual thanks for the feedbacks,and I am sure I am not the only 1 here with that dilemma!!!Or am I? J6
JOHNNY6

Re: SKYNDEEP OR NUSKIN ON HEMBRA???

Postby Madlatin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 am

Hey J6,
I have two sets of old Matadors that I use. One has some nice cow on macho (very thin) and almost twice as thick cow on hembra. L&H sounds great. The other set has Nuskyn on both as well. I have to tell you that they sound very similar to one another. I found that I use the Nuskyn set a lot more just because of the volume it produces and of course the tuning issues. Maybe others agree or have different experience with it. Hope it helps.

Madlatin
"Some things become more valuable when they are shared"
Madlatin

Postby maelopr » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi! I would personally recommend the Skyndeep, it being a bit thicker than the Nuskyn. I have a tucked Black Skyndeep on the hembra of one of my bongos, am happy with the sound and projection. As I said, I've tried the Nuskyn and found it to be too thin. Another option that works- the older type Fiberskyn crimplocks.
-Ismael
¡ ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Postby caballoballo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Johnny, I would not use either one pfor the hembra but that is me.A good quality thick cow,mule,steer skin will take care of your tunning problem.A sinthetic will not give you that old school sound.they are not thick enough.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi,thanks for your answers.Sorry I did not answer sooner,but I have been disconnected from this forum for a couple of months,due to a renovation followed by a move.Like you CB,my preference is natural skin on hembra,but on very humid days,even a very thick skin gave me problems.So I want to have a back up option,for these few days,and use a synthetic skin,I don't know if your summer days in PR,are as humid as Miami? But I doubt it...And since I got 2 different opinions on the synthetic skins,I guess I'll try them both.It is now obvious that skin choice is a subjective matter.Thanks again for your feedbacks and God bless!!!J6.
JOHNNY6

Postby jorge » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:05 am

What problems did the thick skin give you on the humid day?
I like to use old, played-til-dead conga skins for the bongo hembra, they give less ring and a fuller sound to my ear. The only issue is that it needs to be relatively thin for a conga skin to even be able to mount it on the bongo.
jorge

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:38 pm

jorge wrote:What problems did the thick skin give you on the humid day?
I like to use old, played-til-dead conga skins for the bongo hembra, they give less ring and a fuller sound to my ear. The only issue is that it needs to be relatively thin for a conga skin to even be able to mount it on the bongo.

Same with me here. No plastice could replace the sound of a real thick hembra skyn...better if it is a conga head. But that's my humble opinion, of course.
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Postby Ebongo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

I plan to get an lp dandy bongo for remo heads for the climate reason. Interesting that the skyndeep supposedly has a deeper sound than nuskyn since nuskyn is described by remo as having a deep sound of natural skin. If you want a thick old school cow skin (bongo or conga), check out Moperc.
Ebongo

Postby Psych1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 pm

I agree with most here. I much prefer natural skins - they just sound better to me. Thin macho and thick hembra. I've tried to like synthetic but I don't. I do travel with a spare nuskin macho just in case. If I ever break it I'll try a black skyndeep because they do look cool. But it will probably stay as a spare.

Humidity must have been a big problem for tuning once - rum and fire. But for the past 50 years a little crank with the wrench between sets seems to do the trick. But - I like tuning, both up and down. Keeps me closer to the drum and the music.
Psych1

Postby Ebongo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:44 am

:?: Which Remo skin is used on the bongos in this video? --- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w7q5D_mSkWc
Ebongo

Return to Bongo