Afro bongos????

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby JerryA » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:08 am

I saw an instructional video where the guy in it played some bongos that had the word AFRO on both heads, anybody know who makes those bongos?
JerryA

Postby Berimbau » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:55 am

Dear Jerry A,
I believe that those bongos were made by Pearl, Inc. They marketed a number of drums and bells under the "Afro-Percussion" line a few years ago. Rumor has it that this moniker was "TOO ethnic" for mainstream Amerika, and was thus, discontinued. I do think that they still make bongos. Well, we KNOW that they are "AFRO" no matter what the thought police say!!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:28 am

Yep, I own a pair of those Afro (Elite) bongos - before they were swallowed by Pearl. I´m quite satisfied with them - especially in loud situations on stage, they still cut through.
Besides, the price was pretty much okay in those days (90,-€ in then 1999)
I wonder if the models are still exactly the same under the "ethnically cleansed" Pearl brand, but I should think so.

Lately, I tried out Matador bongos and found them quite ok, too.

Keep on Afro-ing everybody!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Berimbau » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:02 pm

I have an incredible Afro Percussion 10" tunable Siam oak djembe in my collection. I think I paid all of $90.00 new for it!!! The bass tone matches or surpasses that of my handmade 14" Malian drum and is far better than my Remo. I'm not so sure about the engineering, but the drum's sound is HUGE for it's diminuative size, which can be easily be tucked into my overloaded CRV. I don't think they make these Afro Percussion djembes anymore. They were just TOO good!!! Look out for them on E-Bay or a pawn shop near you........

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JerryA » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks, that explains why I couldn't find those anywhere. Yeah, I wonder if they changed anything to them besides the logo. They sounded pretty cool in the video.
JerryA

Postby Isaac » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:37 am

Afro was the Pearl Co. all along. The Pearl moniker wasn't working for them for their hand percussion. They made some serious efforts to improve their products and even had Armando Peraza and Orestes Vilato on board for a short time.
They dropped out as the company started cutting corners. For a few years they made some really well constructed instruments but were'nt doing well business-wise. The new "brand" was short lived and then they returned to the
Pearl name. If you find an Afro product on a close-out or 2nd hand sale, you can count on a well built instrument with
some good volume to it. The Pearl products now are a still good value for the price. The Bobby Allende congas
are very nice for fiberglass congas.

ISAAC
Isaac

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:08 pm

I have 3 original Afro congas...Pearl bought the creator of Afro drums out, some time ago..He was from the Netherlands. I also have an Endorsement with Pearl and I have supported their congas for over 8 years now....I also have 3 fiberglass Pearl congas ..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 80-JC5.jpg
JohnnyConga

Return to Bongo