hand beater - bongo bell

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby franc » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:36 am

to all my friends out there!!
please give feed back on the fiberglass bongo bell beater. what are your personal opinion on this issue. are they better than the traditional bongo bell beater?? will be thanksfull for your thoughts. my best and áche to all in this forum. franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:20 am

I once used a JCR Fibrestick for the cowbell when I was playing Bongo with agroup a few yrs ago, worked well with my JCR bell, however sounded bad with my LP Bells.
It lasted far longer than its wooden counterparts and was comfortable to hold. Its sound projection was far superior to the wooden one I had also.

Best to take your bell in with you to the store that has the beater and test it out for yourself.

No point in us saying yeh man, sounds great, if you dont like it. Ya dig? :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:28 pm

Until about 6 or 7 years ago, everybody was using every kind of cowbell beaters....The most populars were the ones made by LP, that were available everywhere, that looked like a small baseball bat. Later LP made some that were thicker and longer. (Different shape than a small baseball bat but close whith a more manageable handler).

Just until a few years back bongo bell players were more concerned about getting a loud hit in the mouth of bell. With a thicker beater that will do the trick although it will "lower" the tone of the pitch of the bell.

A secret among bongo players was the fact that for recordings most were using "thinner" version of beaters that were heavier and helped them getting more defined hits in the middle of the cowbell without affecting the pitch of the bell. (A new trend was happening....)

JCR came up about 5 to 6 years with a cowbell beater that I think is made of fiberglass that was thinner and heavier for the new trends in playing. (The shape was cylindrical and not uneven like the baseball bat style). Now the bongo players did not have to have a different cowbell beater for recording and live playing. It became an instant hit. So much that LP made their own two years ago and I think Meinl did too. Also, a new trend of thinner, cylindrical, and heavier beaters came out. (Although heavier, they were easier too handle than the baseball bat or the thin handle type beaters).

JCR this year came out with a thicker version of its for those who want that volume achieved with a thicker beater. I have one but have not seen them that much...(Apparently, the original keeps on been the favorite...Cali has made a variation by putting a "rubber tape or material" to serve as handle. Personally, I do not like it...He makes those two variations now....By the way, the beaters cost around $15 to $20 depending where you get them...).

Do I recommend it???? Yes, is a great purchase. They last longer than wood versions of beaters and I personally like to get a more natural sound while hitting the body of the bell. Also, the beater is easy to handle due to its shape.

I hope this helps...If you get it...tell us your impressions!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Ecuarumba » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:25 pm

I was just there this past weekend and got one of Cali's beaters, I really reccomend them. I also still like his old wood ones with the grip tape on them, the only thing is that they get torn up pretty fast. According to him, these new ones aren't 100% fiberglass. I think he said it's like part canvas, part fiberglass and something else, sorry I can't remember.
Ecuarumba

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:16 pm

Greeting,it is important to point out to use the proper holding technique for the bells,and the back finger movement in other to reach the tone.Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1120069019
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby franc » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:29 pm

you guys like always are great!!!!
zaragemca, what you mean by the ''back finger movement''? is it to muff or open the sound??? like always, thanks to all. mucho saludos!! your friend, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 pm

franc wrote:you guys like always are great!!!!
zaragemca, what you mean by the ''back finger movement''? is it to muff or open the sound??? like always, thanks to all. mucho saludos!! your friend, franc :cool:

Technique/pattern of playing cencerro/campana (cowbell) in traditional Son Montuno associated music within a "latin band" scenario as bongo player/bell player..

ie (counting in 4/4) left hand holding the bell - right hand beating bell with stick (vice versa if left you're left handed), bell held with opening in a forward upward motion with mouth pointing away from you, pointer finger being off the back of the bell for the open tone on the beat, and finger tip of pointer finger being on the back of the bell for the 3 double closed off beats and single closed off beat in relation to what direction the clave is heading in context with the section of the arrangement be it 2-3 or 3-2 etc.

The bell is raised gently towards you as you strike the mouth of the bell (open tone) on the beat of the music and comes back down when stricking the off beats.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1120137457
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:18 pm

Greeting,correct that is what I mean franc.Also I would like to point out that in the structural change which took place,)at least in Cuba),the hand-bells replace the clave,which at that point the attention was concentrated in the bells beat and not clave,new generation of musicians replace the clave with the bells,so all the rhythms which were been created,Changui,Cha-Cha-Cha,Mambo,Chaona,Bata-Cha,Dengue,Pilon,Sonsonete,Songo,etc., were bells oriented.With the creation of the Block-Jam, some Timbaleros acquired the skills of keeping the clave and the cascareo,(on the side of the Timbales),at the same time,or the clave and the bells-patterns which is played by the Timbalero which was called in Cuba, 'Mambo-Pattern'.Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1120149287
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Bongo