Should I buy a new set of bongos?  Which one?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Firebrand » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Guys,

I've been playing bongos professionally since I was 9 years of age. My most consistent gig is performing with my father (http://members.tripod.com/Lilor/index.htm) as the percussionist. The music is mostly Caribbean-Flamenco guitar music, with influences from Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Brazil, etc. We play a lot of different stuff. My main instruments is Bongo, and occasionaly Peruvian Cajon (when we do flamenco stuff or sambas).

I've been using the same bongo for the last 10 years. It's an LP Matador. From what I've heard, LP's Matador line is really LP's old Generation I bongos.

Question: Should I upgrade and buy an LP Giovanni model/Fiberglass Galaxy model or other professional top quality model? If so, why should I do that (is sound significantly better, louder etc. OR should I just retrofit my bongo with a nice X-Ray head and continue playing with my Matador.

Personally, my bongo seems like it doesn't project super loudly, and I can't never get my macho head to stay nice and high pitch, to give crackling accents. But, it "does the job" as they say.

I'm actively checking on EBAy for upgraded models, so please respond ASAP with your advice.
Firebrand

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:18 am

If you have the money and want to, definitively, you should upgrade.

Matador's are really good set of bongos but for example, the LP Generation II model will provide more volume. Cannot explain it to you "technically" but the construction of the pro model allows more projection and better sound.

Gen II or Giovanny's. Difference in price is because Giovanny's have "ash wood" instead of oak but they are the same bongo. Also, Giovanni's come standard with comfort rim. If you do not mind playing wth comfort rims, that are heavy for the seated player, you have more alternatives since most new models now come with comfort rim.

Wood or fiberglass??? Yes, fiberglass provides more volume but with a bongo you cannot tell too much the difference and fiberglass bongos provides too much overtones...Wood..I recommend.

Do you live in Puerto Rico?? Check Tropical Music, LP's distributor, I think they are running some sort of special on Gen II bongos... Also, try Villa Music, they are getting rid of some Meinl and Pearl bongos (which I recommend)...

Check it out!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Jongo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:53 pm

I play some Matador bongo and I changed the head to a synthetic Remo Nuskyn head and the change was dramatic. Rather than buying more expensive bongos this change was enough for me. My bongos project better, speak more easily and they really pop for me when I need it. The guys I play with thought I had bought new bongos.
Overall I agree with Raymond in that if you have the funds I would upgrade. You are not going to be able to beat top of the line JCR, Timba etc. For me I don't have a regular gig and I am more of a hobbyist so just changing the heads was the best solution for me.
Juan
Jongo

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:55 pm

Ive used Matador Bongo's for the last 10 yrs. First thing I did however was replace the macho skin with an LP skin and I fitted an LP quinto skin to the hembra for extra loud and dry low pitch. Sounds wicked. Percussionists from around the world who have played my bongos have loved the sound it produced.

The bongos sound great, but over the years have been bashed about a fair bit, one of my students is now going to buy my bongos and I am upgrading to a set of LP 40th anniversary bongos.

If your shells and hardware are in good condition, perhaps all you need to do is upgrade to higher quality skins...
LP skins fit your bongo perfectly. :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Jongo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:50 pm

Hey, I saw some Bauer bongos on ebay. I have played some Bauer instruments before but never their bongos. Does anybody have any experience with these?
Juan
Jongo

Postby Supa Coopa » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:51 am

If you want a crowd pleasing eye popper, check out Volcano Percussions Mango Bongos. :p
Supa Coopa

Postby maSSivdrums » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:20 am

Supa Coopa wrote:If you want a crowd pleasing eye popper, check out Volcano Percussions Mango Bongos. :p

Supa Coopa,

What make the Mango Bongo's stand out from the other brand's on the market?
maSSivdrums

Postby Supa Coopa » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Well MaSSivedrums,
Like I said, if you visited the Volcano Percussion site, it tells you the whole story, but in my words the first thing I wanted was a 7 & 8.5" set with a lot of volume. Secondly, thin smooth calf hide heads creating a lot of "ccarack". Third, I wanted them to match my congas and fourth, I'm tired of replacing bongos because of the peeling chrome finish. Volcano's have all stainless steel hardware. Boy, these bongos are "Shaka" brudda. Go visit their site at http://www.volcanopercussion.com and see and hear them. :laugh:
Supa Coopa

Postby maSSivdrums » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Supa Coopa,

Cool! tanx for the info. I did check out that Volcano Percussion site and I'm very impressed by what they have to offer. :cool:
maSSivdrums

Postby Firebrand » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 pm

So...JCR or Timba? I've read that their cowbells (JCR) are unmatched...but I wasn't aware of their drumline.

Since I'm a gigging performer, I'm willing to spend the "extra mile" to get the best. Should I go with JCR or LP Gen 2? And which models?
Firebrand

Postby ralph » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:19 pm

jcr percussion ar hand made, hollowed out i believe, and have better skins, and they are beautiful, i would get a pair in a heartbeat.
ralph

Postby mco » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:14 am

Consider a set of Mopercs (http://www.moperc.com) or the new Gonbop (Sol) California Series Bongos.
mco

Postby Raymond » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:27 pm

Firebrand,

JCR's are great sounding bongos but expensive... Expect to pay at least $350 or more for them. They are handmade. You could try to see them at JCR's site but the best is to contact Cali, JCR's owner, directly or be lucky to get them at a store....

Notice you live in PR, if you do, go to Pure Sound in Bayamon or Music Sound in Caguas and see if they have a model, that they sometimes do but they go fast, and/or see if they could get you some ordering it for you. (This route is expensive and might cost you more or have to wait more).

Cali of JCR does not mass produce the congas, timbales and bongos he manufactures. (He does the cowbells but not the rest). Be aware you could be in a waiting list for awhile unless you deal direct with Cali or somebody help you with that. (I have the phone write me if you want to). Cali will work with you if you deal directly with him...Also, you could trust him that the bongos will be perfect....

(I should'nt be saying this since I endorse Pearl but I like to help).

Considering Gen IIs, go Tropical Music...pay around $200 or go Pearl's Elite's found here at Music Sound in Caguas... I have a set of Pearl's Richie Flores that sound great...However, heavy for the seated player...Working with them to see if you could get a bongo with traditional rims...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Firebrand » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:53 pm

i might just do that...my percussion mentor knows Cali personally, so I'll probably check one of his bongos out through him.

Thanks for the advice.

Does he do Batas too? I'm really trying to immerse myself in the real roots of percussion, and I've tried convincing my mentor of teaching me bata rhythms, but he politely refuses. When I performed with Giovanni, I got to spend some "downtime" with him, and although he taught me stuff on congas, he was also reluctant teaching the bata rhythms.

My guess is that both don't do it out of some religious conviction. The son of my mentor, who is also a good percussionist, mentioned that they probably don't teach me because i'm not "jurado por el drum". My guess is that I haven't undergone some ritual to make me eligible to learn the rhythms.

ANyway, I'll check online.

Edited By Firebrand on 1111154457
Firebrand

Postby ralph » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:49 pm

you know someone i know tells me he just got a set of bata from Cali. Although i may have heard wrong, this may not be wrong, because most of these guys such as Cali, Junior, Matthew, make all kinds of drums etc. Anyway, call Cali up he's a nice guy, and you'll ask him a question and he'll tell you a story.
Also you may be right, they may not see the dedication, and or sacrifice, that they are looking for, they may be busy, or not interested who know, but some guys are like that others will freely teach, and i am sure you being on the island, can get in contact with guys like Cachete (although he may be not doing so good), or guys that he plays with you know...
take care
ralph

Next

Return to Bongo