Wood or Fiberglass. ??

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Mon May 09, 2005 12:04 am

As a follow up to my questions about Cogas. This time it's Bongoos.

1. Can you please recommend some Bongos of professional quality, that are not too expnsive.?

2. Bearing in mind that i am just about to buy a Pearl wood shell Conga. When it comes to Bongos, which would you recommend. Wood or Fiberglass.?

They would be used in a light jazz situation, in medium sized venues, and also for recording

Thanks.

Chris.
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Postby Raymond » Mon May 09, 2005 11:50 am

Wood and fiberglass???? The difference, although is slightly noticed in bongos, is that fiberglass gives you more overtones and bongos will give you a warm sound.

Recommended bongos???? Sorry about the plug, but as a Pearl endorser, the best bongos for the price are Pearl Elite's. I personally use a Richie Flores Signature model for my live playing and recording. For playing, I always prefer wood in my bongos. (Different than with congas...)

LP Gen II are excellent bongos, used to play them, and Meinl's Woodcraft and Free Ride are also excellent.

However, for the prices, Pearls could be found for less than $200 in comparison with the others.

Tell us what you get....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Mon May 09, 2005 12:42 pm

Raymond wrote:Wood and fiberglass???? The difference, although is slightly noticed in bongos, is that fiberglass gives you more overtones and bongos will give you a warm sound.

Recommended bongos???? Sorry about the plug, but as a Pearl endorser, the best bongos for the price are Pearl Elite's. I personally use a Richie Flores Signature model for my live playing and recording. For playing, I always prefer wood in my bongos. (Different than with congas...)

LP Gen II are excellent bongos, used to play them, and Meinl's Woodcraft and Free Ride are also excellent.

However, for the prices, Pearls could be found for less than $200 in comparison with the others.

Tell us what you get....

Saludos!

Many thanks for your reply Raymond. Yes i will let you know what i choose.

Regards.

Chris.
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Return to Bongo