Meinl  bongos the best

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Mundo » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:24 pm

saludo all your Bongoceros the Meinl free-ride is for the money the best pro- Bongo on the market. they are beautiful made. the workmanship, sound, quality and the 9 inch hembra is the bomb! i think by me adding the Remo Fiberskyns i bought the drums to a new level in-terms of sound. for some reason if i have to go back to animal skins then mule head skins will be the way to go. imagine the Meinl free-ride with a mule head skin, great sound, volume and warm- round sound.
i think i am the first person that came up with this combination

mucho ache!
Michaelangelo Rosario
Michaelangelo Rosario
Mundo

Postby Ivan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Mundo wrote:imagine the Meinl free-ride with a mule head skin, great sound, volume and warm- round sound.
i think i am the first person that came up with this combination

mucho ache!
Michaelangelo Rosario

Yes, the mule skins make them sound even better! I own the exact same set of bongos with mule skins - mine are the african amber color and I enjoy them very much... The only thing I am considering is getting some traditional rims for the set... I want to see if my getting rid of some of the metal if that will make them sound even better.
Congrats on the new set!
Ivan

Edited By Ivan on 1111427868
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Mundo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:25 pm

sir i think you should leave your bongos as is they sound great...
Mucho ache!
Michaelangelo
Michaelangelo Rosario
Mundo

Postby Ivan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:07 pm

Mundo, I hear ya... But i like to take things apart and tweak em if I can make em sound better... If it doesn't work I'll let you know!
Take Care,
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:44 pm

Meinl Free Ride bongos are great. However, be aware that the "Ronald Meinl symbol with a steel device" in the middle that serves as as the wood bridge that other bongos have to hold the two drums together, tends to bent or even break.

A prominent bongocero here in Puerto Rico was once in Ismael Miranda concert and the thing broke. A "miracle" there was a welder and welding equipment to work on it and fix the bongo. He is not using the Meinl Free Ride bongos anymore...Bad experience for him....

I've played them, seated, and they tend to feel "wobbly" because of that device....

Nevertheless, great sounding bongos with that "glitch."

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:50 pm

Hello!

I play also meinl free ride bongos and in generally I'm very satisfied with them, but the only thing is that I don't understand why the firms don't make or sell plastic-rentgen rays plastic skin for macho more often. I teared my first macho skin, cause i was trying to reach that in a cold place... crack....no boom-no skin.
Since I listen and see many bongoseros with plastic skins and since i played on one of bongos with that... Geeez, new dimension! Cutting and screaming! I'm getting one from my friend...

Groovy groove!

P.
GuruPimpi

Postby gilbert » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:02 pm

i work in a music store i'm responsable of the percussions section so i tried everything
i've played both LP giovanni series bongos and meinl free ride series
the meinl kicks ASS
actually i couldnt play the giovanni more than 5 minutes because of its straight curve which hurts the hand
while meinl is so comfort to play
gilbert

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:50 pm

yeah, that's true! :D
GuruPimpi

Postby Mundo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 pm

ithink the free-ride bongos are just great..i live in NYC

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... e_band.jpg
Michaelangelo Rosario
Mundo

Postby Mundo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:19 pm

i think the free-ride bongos are just great. i live in NYC where the weather can be very humid so i replace the nature heads with Remo fiber-skyn sythetice head.. the free-ride bongos project really well...
mucho ache!
Michaelangelo
Michaelangelo Rosario
Mundo

Postby Mundo » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:01 pm

hello all your bongoseros.. here is my band Bonada jazz ensemble. iam am using the Meinl free-ride.. they are great
sounding drums.. mucho ache!

Michaelangelo

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Bonada.jpg
Michaelangelo Rosario
Mundo

Return to Bongo