Head trip at JCR

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Richard Groff » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm

In another thread on the board I mentioned that my new Pearl Primero Pro's hembra sounded more like a bell than a drum no matter how I tuned it. I did a search on the board and decided to go with mule skins from JCR. I live only a few miles away in Manhattan, so I thought I'd go over and say hello to Cali Rivera myself.

Cali gave a pop to the hembra and made a face I never want to see again :D He kept the drum overnight to mount the skins and I bought a bell, striker and bag while I was at it. The thing I HAVE to mention is the incredible professionalism of not only him, but also his people. I admitted my dillitant status and he was very generous with his time and energy. He insisted on giving me a quick bongo bell lesson and personally selected the skins for the drum.

The difference is night and day...and that is an understatement for sure. The ringing is gone, the drum has a great pop and a warm sound. The skins have a wonderful almost oily feel to them.

It was a really great experience and JCR has created a loyal new customer in the process.

Edited By Richard Groff on 1110078529
Richard Groff

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:17 am

Jose Cali is a true professional and my trips to his shop have been life experiences. The anecdotes, the recommendations, the people that walk in. Is just incredible....When I go there is usually a three to four hour stop. I always leave with a well wrapped box full of bells, recommended by him from his best batches of bells, some cowbell beaters, and above all, feeling I paid good prices....

The first time I went there I expected this store or some kind of assembly line. However, is a workshop (don't know if it has changed in three years), not the kind that will leave with the best impressions at first, specially when you ask for JCR Percussion, Inc. Him and his wife are great people. Wondering if he still has that timbale next to the closed cubicle he calls his office...

Glad you went there... He is a great guy and all the success he has achieved is well deserved. A hard working man and the most humble and helpful guy I have met in this business...

Saludos!

PS: Glad you got the right sound from your Pearl Primeros...What kind of cowbells you got??? High Tones, Low tones,????
Raymond

Postby Richard Groff » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:16 pm

Raymond wrote:The first time I went there I expected this store or some kind of assembly line. However, is a workshop (don't know if it has changed in three years), not the kind that will leave with the best impressions at first, specially when you ask for JCR Percussion, Inc. Him and his wife are great people. Wondering if he still has that timbale next to the closed cubicle he calls his office...

PS: Glad you got the right sound from your Pearl Primeros...What kind of cowbells you got??? High Tones, Low tones,????

Its funny, I wasn't surprised because I looked JCR up on the internet and saw pictures of the shop before heading over. "...changed in three years..."??? I don't think that shop has changed since the 70s... and yes, the timbales are still there.

There was only one problem...ME. I work in the music industry and am such a New Yorker that I kept on having guilt that I was taking his time up. I really expected him to be so busy that he wouldn't be able to take time for someone who barely knows a macho from a hembra. I couldn't have been more wrong. He hand picked some bells and insisted I stand back and let him play them so I could choose the one I want. He got excited that I chose the one he would have chosen (so he said) and proceeded to put some music on and give me a bell lesson. I was very humbled by his generosity. Plus, the characters that come through there are almost entertaining enough to be worth the trip, bells or not.

I bought a medium high tone, but the particular bell has a lot of guts to it. The low bells sounded like they might not be defined enough for a first "general" bell (IOW, more of a specialty sound) and some of the high bells were just a little too bright for me. I tend to go for meaty darker sounds that can still cut through the mix. I didn't realize how much "my sound" on guitar has more to do with me and less the guitar and equipment. I am finding myself slowly developing it with percussions also.
Richard Groff

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Richard, good to hear you got your bongos fixed up.

BTW did Cali have alot of mule skin? Specifically for congas also?
I've been trying to get some from Isaac, but he's been missing.

T
Tonio

Postby Richard Groff » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Tonio wrote:Richard, good to hear you got your bongos fixed up.

BTW did Cali have alot of mule skin? Specifically for congas also?
I've been trying to get some from Isaac, but he's been missing.

T

To be honest, I don't know. Caly didn't mention one way or the other, he just took my bongo and gave it back to me 200% better :D
Richard Groff

Return to Bongo