Bongo in 5/4 - added just for giggles

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Obi » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Hey gang, I just thought it would be fun to post this here. It is a somewhat simple rhythm for bongo in 5/4 .

1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a5e+a:
>><<<
m S mmooS o
M M MMMMM H

(M= macho, H= hembra)

Just for fun, take the muffled tone of beat #1 and Roll your fingers, as you continue to practice try rolling the crescendo from 3- 4 with 4 culminating in a sharp clear slap. Let beat number 5 "smooth" out the sound with a soft open tone.

Also try alternating which fingers strike the drums (like frame drummers do) with time and practice this can create very unique, almost melodic sounds. :cool:

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby zaragemca » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:51 am

brother Obi,let me give you and advise,you are getting in to combine time signature, in order to have the foundation in which to build, there is a need to know which is the musical phrase which is going to be played by the rest of the instruments,the arrangement,etc.,in order to place the bongo's pattern in the specific parameter.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Obi » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:15 pm

brother Obi,let me give you and advise,you are getting in to combine time signature, in order to have the foundation in which to build, there is a need to know which is the musical phrase which is going to be played by the rest of the instruments,the arrangement,etc.,in order to place the bongo's pattern in the specific parameter.

Take a swung Plena (which is very similar to Ayyoub)and add a final 1/4 note after the second measure. (I learned this in 2/4 meter)
it would look similar to this;

B M B : M B :S
1 a + : e 4 :5 :
1e+a2e+a:1e+a2e+a:1e+a:

I just pulled this from From an earlier posting on another board, This would be the "bottom" pattern, Played on Conga.

Now put the two together, and you should get a feel for it.

I realise that my writing skills aren't the best, but I do double check my work to try & avoid the confusion. ???

For more of the original post, check out "Take 5" in the techniques, rhythms and exercises board, this was my attempt at simplifying the rhythm and what I have used in the past playing with other bands.

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Return to Bongo