Synthetic head on Fibeglass bongos?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Firebrand » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:25 am

I've had a set of Matador bongos pretty much since I was 9 years old (and I'm 25 now). I've used "hand-picked" natural skins on bongos, and let me tell you, I have NEVER been satisfied with the sound of my bongs. I've always had the "middle" of the tonal range sound to them, which is ok for, say Jibaro music, but not good for salsa or anything. I was always disappointed when I soloed, because i gave it my all, and I couldn't a nice, Anthony Carrillo cackle out of that macho! Hembra was ok, since I never had to tune it more than a few turns to get the octave lower.

Then, I went to Puerto Rico on a concert tour with my father (http://members.tripod.com/~Lilor/index.htm) and was loaned a regular bongo (can't even remember what model, but definitely LP). And the model had "placa" (x-ray) on the macho. That placa had been there for a long time, because the owner was Javier Hernandez (the sound engineer of the Bobby Valentin 35th Anniversary DVD, and the new Puerto Rican Masters CD). So, I knew that top dogs were using it for recordings.

I took it to a live outdoor concert in the Paseo De La Princesa in San Juan (a large, public walkway) and I remember I had the most notable, cackling, inspired solo I've ever had in my entire life. From that moment on, I was convinced about getting a placa for my bongo.

So, question. Where can I find a detailed tutorial on what "placa" materials to get for my macho drum, and for putting on an LP Matador set.

I second Johnny Conga....for bongos, Placa (X-ray) is the way to go. No tuning, no fusing, and nice, bullet shots out of the bongo.
Firebrand

Postby Cohiba » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:46 am

I just recently put a Mylar head from Brasil on the macho after cracking a natural skin - it seems such a fine line between perfect tension and a tear with natural and it has to be said synthetic sounds fantastic..

Still, I do prefer the feel of a natural head and sometimes it can be almost too easy to coax really sharp sounds out of synthetic and complacency can occur.
Cohiba

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:44 pm

Hey Raymond have you hooked up with Anthony Carillo from Batacumbele?...Probably one of the BEST in the world today on Bongos...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:32 pm

JC

I have met probably who is who in percussion here in PR. Some are close friends like Tito de Gracia and Albert Machuca. No, I have not met Anthony Carillo....Never...not in a studio or presentation...Yes, I know his work and have even one of his albums.....Looking forward to meet him some day....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:07 am

i have mounted many x-ray heads on bongos . i don't find it , for myself hard to do. i have also mounted many skins heads on conga drums. i could mentioned that i am good at it because i have done a good job with ease and without any help. at this moment i am making rings to mount both conga and tumba skins , which i am also good at it. i could say that i am entering in the field of '' artesania!! '' :D ''ache to all in the forum''!!!!!
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby pandeiro_12 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:55 pm

Hi Franc,
Can you please explain how you mount the x-ray head on the bongo....pleaseee:D :D :D :D :D
Samba
pandeiro_12

Postby Jongo » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:16 pm

I have never put X-ray film on my bongos but I will have to give that a try so I would like to know the procedure to that as well so I can mount them correctly.
Right now I have some Remo Nuskyn heads and to me they sound great. They give a nice pop and are easier on my hands, it seems like I don't have to work as hard.
Juan
Jongo

Postby franc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:09 pm

pandeiro and jongo,
my best from puerto rico!!!i have mounted many skins on congas and also x-ray films on bongos. if i could only explain it in words??it is more difficult mounting x-ray films since is not very stable to handle. it can be done. i have done it by myself with difficulty. let see how i can explain the procedure. you take your x-ray film ,for best result you can cut or make a big circle of the film so that it can over lap at least three or four inches over the head of the drum. you set the film in top of the macho drum.you put the inside ring on top of the film. the film that overlap, you must bend it up over the ring. you do this all through the circle of the ring. it is best to have some one else assitt you if you can. now once the film is over the ring you take the outside ring the one that support the tying lugs and set it over the ring with the over lap film inside the outside ring with some force. what i do is i tie one lug first, then i work with the film and other lugs one at a time.you must work with the film as you tighten.. i pull it up with care with hand pliers. you must do this with the four lugs. once all four are in place. before cutting the film that over laps, the outside ring must be tighten below the top edge of the drum at least 3/8 or half of an inch. i preffer 3/8 of an inch. since this will gives me room to tighten the skin to the right tune, and final but no least you cut the film that overlaps at the level of the top of the drum. and then tight and enjoy!!!!! i hope i have been of great assistance on this issue. please any question i'll be glad to further explain ok. my best and áche to you and all in this great forum!!!! your friend, franc :)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby pandeiro_12 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:24 am

Thans franc.I will try this on weekend.I will let you know..
Thanks again..

mz best from slovenia:D :D :D :D :D
Samba
pandeiro_12

Postby yoni » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Yes, mounting those x-ray heads isn't always easy. I trace a circle in the square x-ray sheet... the circle being the size of the drum head or just a bit bigger. I make cuts in the x-ray from its edge to the outer edge of the circle. The cuts are all about a centimeter apart. You end up with tabs leading up to the edge of the circle. The tabs will overlap as you mount the head, tighten it, then carefully cut away the excess film tabs that stick up over the head.

Johnny Conga's suggestion for using blank x-ray heads is the best... once, in a pinch, I mounted an x-ray of my girlfriend's lungs on a drum. She has some nice lungs, but the black emulsion got my hands dirty as I played. I found there is some of that black stuff on both sides of the exposed x-ray and it was hard to remove... eventually turpentine worked best. The x-ray picture was funny and got a lot of questions and comments (what kind of drum head is THAT?). But that black stuff does come off on the hands.

Edited By yoni on 1100472860
yoni

Previous

Return to Bongo