How to retrofit bongo macho with X-Ray head

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Firebrand » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:07 pm

I echo the statements made by most of the posters here. I've played different types of bongos, with skin and x-ray macho heads, and I absolutely love the x-ray heads. My experience is that in a gig, skin heads will go down about 1/2 half a tone every hour or so, and that really bothered me, because I'd be cutting through a solo in the first half of the gig, and then it would seem weak in the second. With X-ray head bongos, I never had that problem. I also agree that the X-ray head should only be on the macho (small bongo drum, high pitch). But then again, unless you like to have the hembra really stretched and higher pitched (which I don't, I like to have an octave or more apart), this shouldn't be a problem, since the head won't stretch much. Just give the hembra 2 turns on each lug each gig, and that's enough.

Can someone, once and for all, describe in detail (or point to a website that has instructions) how to retrofit bongos with an X-ray head? Start from different ways of acquiring the material (alternatives to hospitals, if possible), what to do to wrap it around the rim, etc. I'm sure many other readers of this board have wanted to retrofit bongos with that material, but just don't know where to start or how to do it (like me).
Firebrand

Return to Bongo