8.5 or 9 inch hembra - preferences?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:04 pm

So, I'm just looking for some preferences based on personal experience and history.

It's seems that 8.5 inch hembra is more common but a some manufacturers such as LP (Gen III) and Meinl have 9 inch hembras available. Is this a recent trend or have 9 inch hembras always been a common option?

Any comments or personal perferences? If so, why?

As always, thanks in advance for your responses.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 pm

A 9 inch hembra will give you a "deeper bass" sound...It sounds great by the way. Personally, I like it.

Is just a matter of preference. From what I've heard the 9 inch hembra is the traditional Cuban size. Apparently, somehow LPs 8 1/2 (I think that is right) have become the norm. Finding a 9 inch hembra head is harder because the 8 3/4 is the "popular size." (Pearl Elite hembras are 9, LP Gen III and some Meinl's).

Believe it or not never had an hembra in 9 and it is because the hard that it is to find replacement heads in that size. LP sizes are more common to find in heads already mounted. My two bongos are LP Gen IIs. (I am getting a Pearl soon. We'll see)...

The same thing happens with the macho that some manufacturers have a smaller 7 inch instead of the 7 1/4. Is just preference....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 pm

raymond, i have a ''meinl wood selected hand crafted collection series bongos'' the macho and the hembra have cowhide, but they are the same thickness. should i change the hembra head to a thicker skin??? what do you recomend in this case?? gracias mil, saludos a todos lor rumberos del forum!!!!! my best, franc:laugh:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:44 am

Nice bongo set, franc!

I was looking at those, but I ordered the basic free ride series model because it's a bit less $$$. It seems to me the major difference between them is the wood.

Are you happy with your drums?

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:19 pm

Franc,

Depends what you like. A thicker head in the hembra will give you a lower tone. I prefer my 'hembra' lower in contrast with what some people have out there. The macho with a thinner head will give you a higher pitch.

Now I am using synthetic heads....I prefer Remo Fyberskins because of the lower tone I get in the hembra in comparison with Remo NuSkyns or Evans that are thinner heads. (By the way, I have one of my bongos with NuSkyns and I do not like the sound of the hembra).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:54 pm

Btw, I was just informed that Meinl has discontinued the Free Ride Series with 9 inch hembra. :( Or at least that what the store relayed to me from their distributor.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby franc » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:19 am

thanks congacaja and thanks raymond. yes, congacaja i 'm happy with my bongos. they sound great. i'm going to change the hembra skin as raymond prefered , since i also like a lower tone in the hembra. my best to you guys and thanks for your ''consejos'':D franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:05 am

Btw, rememeber my previous note mentioned that Meinl had discontinued the set with 9 inch hembra? Well, I stumbled across this web site that has a killer deal aj's pro percussion They must be liquidating. Granted, these are not the top of the line models but they are quite nice for a newbie bongosero like me. So, I ordered them and received them yesterday.

Lastly...I'm having some difficulty getting the sound that I'd like out of the hembra. There a strong overtone that I haven't been able to tune away. I will keep working with it for a while (letting the skin break in)...else, I'll get a thicker skin for it.

saludos... cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1078297589
CongaCaja

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:08 pm

CongaCaja wrote:Btw, rememeber my previous note mentioned that Meinl had discontinued the set with 9 inch hembra? Well, I stumbled across this web site that has a killer deal aj's pro percussion They must be liquidating. Granted, these are not the top of the line models but they are quite nice for a newbie bongosero like me. So, I ordered them and received them yesterday.

Lastly...I'm having some difficulty getting the sound that I'd like out of the hembra. There a strong overtone that I haven't been able to tune away. I will keep working with it for a while (letting the skin break in)...else, I'll get a thicker skin for it.

saludos... cjk

Well, I stumbled across this web site that has a killer deal aj's pro percussion They must be liquidating.

Ajs is a good source for equiptment,( and i dont think there liqidating) they have suff up on Ebay all the time to. "collectable equiptment ..' etc.

help me get a glossary of drum termenology going on here,????
clownmanus2000

Return to Bongo