Pearl Primero Pro? - Any experience

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pearlplayer » Thu May 27, 2004 1:18 pm

Has anyone played the Pearl Primero Pro line? It looks like they are the less expensive shells with the high end hardware. I haven't played them yet, but noticed steve weiss is selling them online for $79. I imagine they are well worth that price, but would like to hear an opinion before I buy. I really like the carbon vapor color too...
pearlplayer

Postby Raymond » Sat May 29, 2004 10:37 am

Pearl Primero bongos are a very good bargain for a good quality bongo. However, recommend changing the heads which are not the best quality. Their size is professional, 7 / 8.5 and they are light to carry by the seated player. Big difference with the Elite is thinner shells and "lightweight" hardware.

I know some Pearl endorsers who play seated prefer it over the Elite because the Elite's hardware, that is of better quality, is too heavy.

Most definitively recommend but with the disclaimer above.

Saludos!

PS: Check http://www.midwestpercussion.com. They have them cheaper than $79.
Raymond

Postby Tonio » Sun May 30, 2004 1:15 am

Raymond,
So I gather Elite model for Pearl is the top model(congas too)?

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Sun May 30, 2004 10:51 pm

Tonio,

Yes, the Elite series is the top of the line of Pearl's line. Primero is their beginner/mid level line. Is like LP to Matador in the case of LP.

Now, you have the signature series from Marc Quinones, Bobby Allende and Richie Flores that are the top but in essence the shape of the congas and bongos of Allende and Flores are the Elite series with some "new features". Marc Quinones timbales you could say is totally new and different than the Pearl Elite Brass timbales.

Pearl is trying to expand their line and have more variety. Let's see what they bring..they are serious..and are trying..

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby pearlplayer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:30 pm

Raymond,
I believe the Pearl Primero Pro line come with the same rims and heads as the Pearl Elite series. That is the difference between the Primero bongos and the Primero Pro bongos. The Primero Pro has Elite Hardware, with Primero shells. Also, I checked out midwest and found they are selling Primero Pro bongos for $109.95, Steve Weiss is selling them for $79 (and include a free bag).

Have you heard any comments on the Primero Pro line?
pearlplayer

Postby pearlplayer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:32 pm

This is what the Pearl site has to say:

A step up from our regular Primero Line, the Primero Pro Line gives you Pro-Level quality in an affordable package. Offered in both Fiberglass and Oak versions they feature the same Polished Steel Hardware and Heads as Pearl’s high-end Elite Series.

The congas are 10” & 11” diameters, and 28” tall, and the bongos are 7” & 8 1⁄2 “ diameter heads. The congas are available in sets or separately they come complete with heavy-grade Polished Steel single conga stands and two brand new exciting finishes, Majestic Haze and Midnight Fade. Primero Pro is the obvious choice for a beginner to a gigging professional, or anyone wanting killer congas at an affordable price.
pearlplayer

Return to Bongo