Bongo stands - a problem with Meinl ?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:07 am

So, I noticed that most bongo makers have a hole drilled through the center piece of wood (which holds the two bongo together).

Since, Meinl's don't have that piece of wood, is it difficult to find stands on which they can be mounted? I have seen a stand (from Meinl) at a local music store which, of course, works fine, but is this problem with other stands from other manufacturers?

For example, it's not clear from the photos of LP's stand whether these would work for Meinl bongos

thanks in advance for your reponses...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby franc » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:38 am

gee!! congacaja i wish i could help you. i don't know much about stands since i play sitting down. but i could suggest some experts that can help you, for ex. raymond, johnny conga, tamboricua, conuno,etc. or you can click on this forum ''congaset and accesories'' hope you get a positive respond. my best, franc '' que viva la rumba!!!:laugh:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:00 pm

Hey guys try this get ....a Snare stand.without the snare clamp add extension pole add a "bongo clamp" to it and walla u have your own "sit down" stand. Ernesto Pediangco a local percussionist here in Seattle has been making "sit down" stands for bongos for years. They are sturdy and it frees you up from having to hold the bongos between your legs and the height is the same as if you had them between your legs. I know there is some type of welding involved somewhere, I just don't remember right now. I'll ask him the next time I see him on a gig. You can build your own stand , try it, be inventive guys!.....JC JOHNNY CONGA....you just might create your own possible patent for an instrument extension......
Johnny Conga

Postby Michaelangelo Rosario » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:36 pm

Hello all your Bongoceros: LP makes a Bongo stand for seated players. the stand would rise up to about 30 inches.. Question: what is the advantage of use a stand as oppose to the conventional way of using the Bongo between your legs?? ... are more player today using the stand..???
Michaelangelo Rosario

Postby Raymond » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:35 pm

I think the LP stand for seated players has not been a big success. I have not seen anybody with it except pictures from Martin Cohen himself.

The only reason you will use that is if you are a multi-instruments percussionist that plays seated. (I've seen some like that.....they are sitting in front of the congas an they twist in their seats to look for the cowbell, claves or effects). Or, if you have a problem with your legs, i.e., too lazy, the bongo hurts between your legs, missing legs, etc.

We'll see!
Raymond

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:01 pm

Last week, I saw a percussionist use a short bongo stand (I'm not sure if was LP's stand) because most of the time he sat on a cajon. He frequently would alternate playing the cajon and the bongo. While seated on the cajon, I think it would be quite difficult to hold bongos between the legs. So, in his case, the short stand looked quite useful.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:50 pm

Congacaja,

It must be LP's stand for seated players. It has been out for almost two years but apparently not many people using it.

Saludos
Raymond

Postby Michaelangelo Rosario » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:03 pm

vaya mi gente... i think the bongo stand is the way to go.. i think our music world is changing. in the past there were typical bongoceros and congeries however we live in a world of multi percussionist this is due to all the musical influences around the world, so your typical bongocero in the past are palying congas, djembe, cajon, doumbek and other hand percussion: caxixi, triangle, and pandiero so the bongo stand will give you the flexibility to move around your percussion set-up...

mucho ache!
Michael angelo
Michaelangelo Rosario

Postby Michaelangelo Rosario » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:03 pm

vaya mi gente... i think the bongo stand is the way to go.. i think our music world is changing. in the past there were typical bongoceros and congeries however we live in a world of multi percussionist this is due to all the musical influences around the world, so your typical bongocero in the past are palying congas, djembe, cajon, doumbek and other hand percussion: caxixi, triangle, and pandiero so the bongo stand will give you the flexibility to move around your percussion set-up...

mucho ache!
Michael angelo
Michaelangelo Rosario

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:51 pm

Guest wrote:vaya mi gente... i think the bongo stand is the way to go.. i think our music world is changing. in the past there were typical bongoceros and congeries however we live in a world of multi percussionist this is due to all the musical influences around the world, so your typical bongocero in the past are palying congas, djembe, cajon, doumbek and other hand percussion: caxixi, triangle, and pandiero so the bongo stand will give you the flexibility to move around your percussion set-up...

mucho ache!
Michael angelo

That's true give you the flexiblity of not having to waste time dropping or picking-up the bongos, perhaps a quicker transition to cowbell or back to the bongos. As for myself the old in the between the legs is the way to go. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby franc » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:33 am

all you guys out there i also prefer old method of holding the bongos between my legs.it looks more profesional, i guess? picking and dropping the bongos is no hard chore since i use one or two bar depend on the music to to put them down and pick the bongo bell and do same thing when picking them up the floor to play, and beside is a good excercise. that's how i feel about it. my best, percussionists colleges. que viva la rumba!!! tu panita, franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:53 pm

I don't know but the beats and "swing" of playing a bongo is better while playing it between your legs feels "ergonomically" better. A stand is OK but the "straight up" position of a bongo in a stand or the "tilted towards you" positions available in a bongo stand does not provide you with a "comfortable" way to play it.

I think the same is with the conga, however, conga stands could be arranged so the conga/quinto is tilted the way you like it like when you are playing seated. If you notice, the bongo in a stand if you tilt it the way is supposed to be while playing it between your legs it will make it uncomfortable to play or "ergonomically difficult" when you have a stand to deal with.

A stand will give you flexibility of movement when you are playing in a multi instrument set up...(In the conga, might give you volume also). That is my experience.. Some might like it but I do not in certain circumstances...

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1077897289
Raymond

Postby MichaelangeloRosario » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:04 pm

on the bongos stand, i think the modern player today will greatly benfit from the stand most Bongoceros today are muti- percussionist playing 3 and 4 different drums and assorted hand percussions flexiblity is the key.. the Lp stand comes up to about 30 inches and you can lower it to about knee level
and tilte it away fro you on a 30 degree angle which would be almost like playing the drum beweet your legs.. iin 1979 i start of playing just bongos and bell, now 25 years later iam playing congas, cajon, djembe, assorted shakers,bells and hand drums. in addition i also add a 20 inche ride cymble to my set up. so i came a long way in 25 years.. i have a jazz band with a latin feel: 2 quitars. bass, alto sax, trap drummer
and 2 singers i am the leader and percussionist.. i also want to mention i have 2 sets of twins my Guitar player are from Japan and my 2 singers are from Cali Columbia my Band is call
Bonada jazz ensemble if any one want to see us perfrom will will be in Elizabeth, N.J next month on the 13th and 20th

vengan todos a disfrute la musica

mucho ache!
michaelangelo rosario
bluebossa80@yahoo.com
MichaelangeloRosario

Return to Bongo