goat skin

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby ElCreepo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:18 pm

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience using goat skin on their bongos. I have to change the skin in my bongo (lp fiberglass), and i found a guy making them. hope you huys can give some input. thanks.

and another thing, does remo have skins that fit lp fiberglass bongos?
ElCreepo

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:25 pm

My only question about goat skin is....aren't they too thin? If they are they could be a problem.. (Heard about goat skin in tamboras but not on bongos).

The problem that I forsee is that if they are too thin and use the current "high" tuning that most bongoseros are using, the tension from the tuningmight break your heads easily. (It could like having those "indian" heads which are very fragile).

Again...I might be wrong... I am wondering about the experience of others...

Regarding Remo synthetic heads, yes, they have sizes that fit all LP bongos that have professional sizes. (Yours appears to be in the professional size, 7 1/2 and 8 3/4)..

Edited By Raymond on Sep. 18 2003 at 15:28
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:11 pm

You younger guys trip me out. Goat skin has always been used for bongos (also named "kip" skin). they have sold you a bill of goods on all this new artificial skin . Now don't get me wrong I use Nuskyn on my macho and it works great. but in my day it was all about putting on your own heads and buying your skins from the Tandy leather company. Which i think is still around today. We used to buy goat skin in sheets. You could get 3 or 4 heads out of it, so it would last a long time if you took care of the skins properly. I have a skin on my quinto for over 25 years without changing it. On my congas for at least 6 years and they still sound great. It's all about the care of the skins. At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Bongo