JCR Bongos - I can't stop playing

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby 120decibels » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:07 pm

Folks,

I tripped over a pair of JCR bongos this weekend. I got them relatively cheap ($149) and they are the best sounding bongos I've heard in a long time.

I've tuned them up and compared them to a set of LP Gen. 2's, a set of LP Valjes, and some Meinls. In my opinion, these drums sound better than all of the above. Much of that sound could be the heads. The macho has a nice kip head on it and the hembra has a great cowhide head. The only other drums that I've heard that compare are a set of old Gon Bops bongos that my teacher owns. However, the shells are also very nice. I can't place the wood. I'm thrilled with the drums and reinvigorated to practice my bongos.

The questions I have are:

I've seen a lot of JCR bells here (Washington D.C) lately. Occasionally, I see a set of Timbales. I just bought the only JCR bongos that I've ever seen. Does JCR make a lot of drums? Are they primarily in NYC? Do they make congas? Do they sound as good as the bongos?

Zach
120decibels

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:01 pm

I have been to Jose Cali Rivera's shop everytime I have been in New York. He has this very "informal" shop in Ogden Ave in the Bronx. (Close to Yankee Stadium). Is not a store is a "workshop". (All dirty, full of machines, with buckets full of bells, metals, woods, hardware, etc. Very tight space). He gets visits by lots of latin musicians who visit his shop. He takes care of everybody that steps into his shop and takes the time to help you select what you want, recommend things, tell you anecdotes about musicians, etc. Personally, I have spent sometimes 3 hours at his shop, selecting bell, seeing what he is now working on, listening to stores, etc...He's an outstanding individual.

Cowbells is what he sells the most and that's what you are always going to find when you go there. He makes drums ocassionally that he sends to "his distributors" and on demand. (You go overthere and you could see his assistant working on them right there while you are there). I've seen most of it done "on demand." His shop is very small and unless he keeps them somewhere else, which I doubt, he makes the drums and ships them or sells it immediately. He does not have an assembly line. Everthing there is "handmade" and made on the spot.

He makes everything, congas, bongos, agogo bells, timbales, etc. However, most of it is sold on demand. If the store wants the drum, he will ship it to them. (Remember unless you know what JCR is, with some of the US stores, they might not be willing to pay the premium price of some of this drums. Here in Puerto Rico, whenever you find them they go fast....). Recommend you get in contact with him to get any drum that you might want....(See below for more...)

Because of the quality of his instruments and outstanding sound, they go fast. Once in a while you will see something besides cowbells in the shop but is rare. (He has a "demo" timbale next to the "cubicle" that is his office or space that he uses to answer the phone, sit, etc, that everybody wants. The timbale has been through a lot...is all dirty and sometimes you will find thing in top of it. But still won't sell it).

But for the reasons I mentioned above he does not sell a lot of products. (Boutique?) I talked to him and he said that a major instrument maker approached him once but he wants to keep his operation "boutique" and not get big. He is satisfied of the way his business goes. (Over 30 years and going...). He does not want a site in the internet or anything that will increase the volume and compromise the way he does thing.

With drums, the timbale is the only he has maintained the same "drum" through out the years. The bongos, he has changed the style, 5 lugs, 4 lugs, materials, amount of plies, etc, and depending how he feels he will start making some of them. The same with the congas.....I bet that if you ask him for something "custom" he will work with you and prepare what you want. (Of course, for the right price). I know for a fact, a famous timbalero who likes his cowbell with a special thing on the "holder" and he does it for him...).

Give him a call....(718) 293-6589. (If you call information for the Bronx in NY and ask for JCR Percussion, you will get the number). He will tell you what he is up to and he will work with you.....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:36 pm

Hi. So basically, JCR does not mass produce anything much like Ferrarri or Lamborghini. Sounds like he pays attention to details and quality on his products. I have seen the cowbells at the guitar center here, next time I will buy me one. Saludos :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:16 pm

Well it sounds like I found a diamond in the rough here in D.C.! They're definitely the Ferrari of bongos!

I'll have to check out the JCR shop when I'm up in NYC later this summer. You gotta love a guy who doesn't cave into mass market pressure. I'm glad he hasn't either moved all of his production to Thailand like LP or gone out of business like Gon Bops.

I've had a bunch of JCR bells for a while now. They have a richness to their sound that you just can't get out of mass-production.

The bongos....I took them to my teacher and he cranked the macho even higher than I had it. The drums just sang! These bongos rank up there with my gon bops requinto as the best drums I've ever purchased! I'm in love.....don't let my wife hear me say that ;)

Zach
120decibels

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:19 pm

I forgot something in my last post:

Thanks for all the info Raymond!!! :D :D :D
120decibels

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:36 pm

Hi. Mr. Decibels how is the latin percussion scene in DC? The reason I ask is because I live in Virginia Beach (about 3 to 4 hours from DC). One of this weekends that I am off, I can go and check it out. Happy Drumming :D
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:32 pm

Your welcome (120 decibels). Once I got into this serious, the first advise I was given was get JCR bells. The best. (My collection is of 10 bongo bells and 5 timbale bells). Each bell sound differents. Based on what I have seen out there, I will dare to say that every major percussionist in Puerto Rico and New York, and you know who they are, use his cowbells in timbales and for bongo playing.

If you go to Cali's shop, he will work with you and that include prices, etc, etc.

The drums are liked by everybody but not everybody gets them because of their prices. (That is "unendorsed guys" because the guys with the endorsement have to use at least the drums they endorse. Cali's is not into that as you can see. People use their stuff based on the quality).

LP is just coming out with a cowbell beater that is actually Cali's invention that they decided to go for the same product. (That is the fiberglass, thin and heavy cowbell beater). That "beater" has become the standard now for 'salsa' gigging and recording.

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on June 03 2003 at 21:33
Raymond

Postby 120decibels » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:13 pm

RitmoBoricua,

The scene here is D.C. is pretty good but smaller than some other big cities. You can catch Latin music almost every weekend (and many weeknights) if you are motivated.

The scene for the percussionist is tough to get into, but once you've made the right connections and proven that you can play, the opportunities come.

With a full-time day job, I'm finding it very tough to keep up with all the music I want to hear, play, and teach.

Zach
120decibels

Postby clifford » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:28 pm

My first set of bongos were gonbops (loved them), they were great My second set were JCR, they were awesome. I had them made with 5 lugs and the embra at 9". The only problem was that they were a little heavy and the 5th lug kept cutting into my leg. Now I have a set of Mambiza bongos which are also 9", made of one piece shells like the JCRs, and heavy. I don't know what I'm going to do. I wish I didn't give away my JCRs even though they were a little painful.

To be honest with you I never never never like the design of the LPs (to square) and most other bongos. JCR, gonbops and mambiza do have nice designs.
clifford

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I have heard that GON BOPS is now TIMBA.
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:09 pm

Another excellent cowbell maker is Dave Harvey, who with the input of percussionist Orestes Vilató, is making some killer cowbells. I believe Toca is distributing some of his cowbells.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Bongo