Traditional Rims vs 'Comfort Curve'

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Simon B » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:02 pm

Hi I know this topic has been covered for congas (but there wasn't much resolution for that thread). I'm thinking of ordering a pair of Generation IIs - traditional or comfort rims?

Nb. Is it true that new LP heads are designed for comfort rims in mind and that traditional heads can be awkward to get on?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:41 am

If you are going to be playing seated...get traditional rims. If not get comfort rims. (The comfort rims are heavy and very uncomfortable for somebody who is starting to play bongos. It appears that is not your case but ....).

Yeap! I had bad experience with the first generation of comfort rims that LP released. Before, you had to be careful because if you tuned the head high sometimes the ring of the head will skip the rim and will come underneath the rim and you lose the head. It was bad....(Now LP has moved to a new Comfort Groove II whcih it sits tighter to the drum and rim and that does not happen anymore. Be careful, I think the original comfort rims are now used in Matador models).

The only problem with traditional rims is that when you need to replace the head you need to "force the rims" so their "ears" open a little bit so you could fit the new head. Everytime to tune the bongos you actually close the rim towards the head so when you have new heads you have to do the "reopening" of the rim exercise so you could fit the new heads.

Hopefully...is not too late.

Edited By Raymond on Mar. 10 2003 at 01:44
Raymond

Postby raydrums » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:48 am

Raymond wrote:The only problem with traditional rims is that when you need to replace the head you need to "force the rims" so their "ears" open a little bit so you could fit the new head. Everytime to tune the bongos you actually close the rim towards the head so when you have new heads you have to do the "reopening" of the rim exercise so you could fit the new heads.

I just picked up some Remo Nuskin heads today. I'm mounting them on an older set of LP Gen. II with traditional rims. It seems that you really have to force the rim over the head. I wasn't sure this was right, so I stopped mounting and removed the rim from the head. When the rim came off, I could see that it caused a little rip in the head. The rip is small and will be covered by the rim when mounted. Doesn't look like it should cause any trouble when tuning or playing. I guess this tight fit is just how they are and should just go ahead and force them on? How do you recommend that the "reopening" of the rim be done? I wouldn't want the rim to go out of round from pulling on it too hard.
raydrums

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:16 pm

[I guess this tight fit is just how they are and should just go ahead and force them on? How do you recommend that the "reopening" of the rim be done? I wouldn't want the rim to go out of round from pulling on it too hard.]

Unless you have the right equipment, that in essence is something that holds the "ear" of the rim and you pull it manually or with "something", the way I do it is with anything that will do that effect. My family gets made because I use a corner of the tubes of my fence (portones) where there is a space that I could stick the "ear" and I just pull back a little "ear by ear" to facilitate the entrance of the head. (Another option is the opening between the door and the wall. Both of my options "could do damage to the door, fence and/or paint without counting the damage to the ear).

Don't be afraid to pull as long as you do not ovedo it. I have the same experience with my NuSkyns that I had a litlte tear when I was first mount them. (Not your same situation but was cause when I tried to tune and I had problems with some lugs I had to replace eventually). However it have not broken, continuing tearing or affected anything. If you do not open the "ears" wide enought you will have problems with the head and you always have the risk of a scracth in the area of the "rim of the head" that could lead to a tear that when you tune could rip the head off.

For your info the rim on the Nu Skyns sit very low in comparison with natural heads.

Your decision!
Raymond

Postby raydrums » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:04 pm

Raymond,

Thanks for the info., I'll give it another try tonight. I have some tools (Bench vice) that I can use to get the job done. I'll just pull it open a little at a time.
raydrums

Return to Bongo