The 'bullett shot'

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Simon B » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:35 pm

In reference to what I have heard described as the 'bullet shit' - the powerful full-hand closed slap on the macho - Mongo's solo on Mazacote (one of those on-line - see thread) has incredible bullet shots. I see some people talk about a cupped hand to the middle. On my Bauers, I get the highest and most crisp bullet shot out of a full hand with the finger-tips ending near the edge. Doing it more to the centre doesn't sound the same and is more difficult because they are smaller than LPs and other models. Any thoughts?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:16 pm

Hi Simon,
yes I try it the same way you, close to a slap on a conga. But it´ll work only on the highpitched macho. I guess it is pretty hard to develop a brilliant technique especially with this sound. I love it! On the recordings more than when played by mayself ;)

Hang on!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:41 am

HI...interesting how people are coming up with terms on playing."Bullet Shot"? I have been playing for over 35 years ,never heard that term. For me it's just a "tapao" an "open slap" toward the middle center of the macho/or just above middle center. Mongo had the most 'brillant' of all slaps in the business,they're patented. Nobody I mean nobody slapped like Mongo.......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:07 am

If you like that slap...you should then hear Anthony Carillo. Perhaps the guy who does best that slap and gets that sharp sound out of the macho and not only in one slap..the guy will do rolls with that sound.

You should check Anthony Carrillo's solo in Eddie Palmieri's "The Truth" (La Verdad) in the I believe third tune of the album (forgot the name)....the guy is incredible...that's the best use of that slap you are talking about in a solo.

Edited By Raymond on Mar. 10 2003 at 02:08
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:57 pm

Hi, Anthony takes that on "Congo Yambumba" a pretty amazing solo. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:44 pm

Thanks. That's right "Congo Yambumba" that's the name of the song with the amazing "slap" solo by Anthony Carrillo on Eddie Palmieri's The Truth.
Raymond

Return to Bongo