Matador vs. Generation II - What's the big difference?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby spiff46 » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:07 am

I have been considering buying a set of bongos. I used to own a set of Pulse bongos, which I was happy with the sound you just couldn't tighten the high drum very tight without the skin slipping. I was interested buying a pair of either LP Matadors or LP Generation II. Cost about $129 vs $200 respectively. Is the extra 70 bones worth it? What's the big difference? Both are made by LP right? Any comments would be appreciated.
Lee
spiff46

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:46 am

Hey spiff what going man. I purchased LP fiberglass bongos and it sounds great (loud as ####). Matador products are great also, I have congas and tumba from them and again it sounds awesome. Purchasing LP products you can't go wrong. I will advise you NOt to purchase WORLD BEAT, CALIENTE products not saying they're bad, but the craftsmanship is not the same as if you were buying Matador or LP.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:17 pm

:D It's ALL LP but I would go with the Generation 2. top of the line.Good sound. The fiberglass ones I have but, there too heavy for the legs after awhile. they were made for a stand,really. At our Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:09 am

Your right JC they are heavy, but they really project. I usually play them in stands, but recently I've been playing them between the legs. I will definitely have huge thigh and calves. (LMAO)...
RayBoogie

Postby Simon B » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:55 pm

[/quote]In my opinion, the LP Generation II's (in wood) are the best out there currently. They are pricey at over $170.

I was interested buying a pair of either LP Matadors or LP Generation II. Cost about $129 vs $200 respectively. [quote]

Two quotes from two different people...Now the price stated on the LP website for Generation II's is $330. Are they available much cheaper (new) from stores in the US? If so I think I'd like to get some shipped to the UK.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Simon B » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:57 pm

On my browser my previous posting looks awful with a huge empty white box in the middle - if you are seeing the same thing I apologise!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:51 am

Although made from the same material and are actually the same size in heads, Generation IIs have a more warmer sound and have more volume than the Matadors. (Matadors are actually LPs original bongos...check it out). Also, Generation IIs are made of a thicker ply of wood and the way they are constructed they give you a fuller sound. Matador's sound is more sharp. (Matador look compact in comparison to Generation IIs)

You could get a great sound out of Matador with the right heads if you choose to get Matador. Matador I believe are the best value out there in bongos for those in a budget. (If you do get Matador, get rid of the factory heads...they are bad).

Saludos
Raymond

Return to Bongo