'Little' Ray Romero

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Simon B » Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:02 am

Since I got my Raul bongos I've been re-invigorated on the little drums!

Re-watched Gio's 'Conga Virtuoso' video. Ray Romero's repiques are awesome!

a) What make of bongos is he using? My Rauls are very nice and all, and can be tuned REALLY high, but frankly don't have that metallic 'chink' that Ray's do. Has he got x-ray heads on them?

b) What about Ray's style? Those finger-tip shots he goes for - literally whacking the drums right on the top-end of the tip! Who can tell me more?

Simon B

(heavily into all things bongo once more!)
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:19 pm

Hi Simon B, hope all is well! On that video Little Ray Romero is using some JCR's bongos made by Cali Rivera out of the Bronx in New York. Check out Little Ray Romero solo on the tune "Indestructible" by Ray Barreto, this time shinning on timbales.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby Doctorumba » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:22 pm

Lil' Ray Romero is a master legendary percussioninst going back 50 years.When Chano got to NYC in 1946,both Lil' Ray and Manny Oquendo accompanied him on timbales and bongo' respectively.Lil' Ray was the tumbador for Miguelito Valdes,Mr. Babalu,in the late 40's and 50's.he also played conga with Arsenio Rodriguez's band in the 50's.Like it said in the previous post,his timbales solo in Barretto's Indestuctible is a classic and had Orestes Vilato at the time shaking his head.

He is excellent on all 3,but on bongos I like him more.Unfortunately Lil' Ray,also known as "Mosquito",had a stroke about 3 years ago and can't play anymore,he is close to 80,His daughter Elaine lives in Miami and Mosquito spends alot of time down here these days. Cuidate, Dario. :)
Doctorumba

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:52 am

Yo Dario I was at Lil ray's son house for his last birthday party and LiL ray took a quinto solo with his only good hand and still tore it up for 80 years old....WOW!......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Bongo