Warped rims

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Simon B » Sat May 25, 2002 8:29 pm

What the #### has happened to this particular board?

I'll pose a question anyway.

I have a cheap to mid-range pair of bongos, Meinl Headliners, which being a fool I never used to down-tune but continued to tighten and tighten. The rims have warped outwards especially on the north and south edges but the actual wooden bodies seem fast. Now I want to replace the skins which both have holes in. Do I try and knock the rims back in shape when there off, or just put them back on as they are, slightly egg-shaped, assuming that they won't affect sound that much?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun May 26, 2002 1:58 pm

It sounds to me you may have over tuned the bongos and the skin cracked or split on you. That is not uncommon with bongos. Now if the rims are warped (possibly from "uneven" tuning), then you need to replace them. Or they will do the same to the next skin you put on them....Hope this helps..../At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:50 pm

If I replace my warped rims and skins, and replace them with fresh sets from a more expensive bongo model (same manufacturer - Meinl; identical dimensions, from what are given in the catalogue), how much will the sound be improved? Is sound quality mainly in the body of the drum?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:21 pm

:D Hi If the rims are that bad ,get new rims and new heads and of course the sound will improve. I am not too familiar with Meinls,I endorse Pearl Elite bongos so that is my take on them. Hope it helps...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:28 pm

Sorry JC, what I meant was that, since I'm going to get new rims and skins (they're shot), would it noticeably improve sound if I put on new rims FROM A MORE EXPENSIVE model rather than those SPECIFIC TO MY OWN MODEL. My Meinls are mid-range and the specific rims for them are a bit light-weight, but those for more expensive Meinl models seem a lot better (but have same measurements). You say you don't know Meinls, but could you pull a similar trick for Pearls or LPs for example?

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Bongo