Best Bongo Book - bbb

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby timo » Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:47 pm

hey guys, what is the best book for bongos?
i'm an intermediate player, and have no idea what to look for. this is also useful for others aswell,(unless they know already)
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:23 pm

I don't think "the best book" for Bongos has been written......Learning to play Bongos necesitates a variety of 'Martillos". there are "standard" Martillos,for Latin music(Salsa,etc.) and there are 'Made up" Martillos also by individualism and style. Example..Armando Peraza, most unorthodox style but listen to him with Cal Tjader on the Ritmo Caliente Recordings.....nobody even today plays like Armando on bongo. But if there is one I would like to know....JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:17 am

Also check out the man with a "thousand fingers' Candido with Billy Taylor released in 1952. You can get it on CD, now. or anything by Candido,he also has a very distinct and "Rudimentary' style on Bongos. My favorite is Tony Fuentes who recordeD with the Joe Cuba Sextet, he was the "unknown" bongosero.He also recorded wih Ray Baretto and Bobby Valentin in the 60's.....P and P JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:33 pm

Timo, check out Trevor Salloum, he wrote two volumes : the "Bongo Book" + "Beyond the basics" in which everything is notaed and explained fine.
If there ´s a music store around, have a look at these, I find them good.
They´re pubished by MelBay Publ.

Good Luck!
Mike

Postby tamboricua » Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:15 pm

Hi Mike, hope all is well! I agree with you. Trevor Salloum bongó book's are excellent resources for background info and technical studies. The thing is that when you are playing bongó in a AfroCuban format you have to know how to play "repiques" in clave. Mr. Salloum shows a bunch of traditional "repiques" in his book, but they are not written in clave. You know what I mean! Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:21 pm

Hey JC, I'm sure you have heard of Rolito Soto?
Formerly with Orquesta Rumbavana? Man, talking about incredible technique!! I believe he is in L.A.?
Do you know him?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaMan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:04 pm

Hi guys!
The Trevor Salloum books are available here:

Paperback - 64 pages Book & Cd edition
I have this book and I found it very good
CLICK HERE

Paperback - 80 pages Book & Cd edition
I don't have this book:
CLICK HERE

Bye...
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby wam molina » Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:42 am

i totally agree with johnny. as mentioned "the salsa guide book" by rebecca mauleon, aside from the martillo and all its varieties, it is basically improvisation...of course you have to know the rudiments first.
wam molina

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:31 am

ChaCho I me cuerda Rolito Soto, he is a very sought out bongo teacher. I met him back in the 80's in LA. there was another guy whose name escapes me he was from Panama, and lived in a restaurant on Vine in Hollywood, and he had a bongo book of his own. Kevin Ricard the percussionist studied bongos with him. Iwish I could remember his name, he was unique and could write out all the repiques,teach u to count and to read the martillos, and he had quite a few of them ,I have seen many bongo players in my musical lifetime but he was tipico and yet different in his style,totaly in "Clavao".....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:16 pm

Michito Sánchez, is another protegé of Rolito Soto!
Check out his web site at:

http://www.michito.com

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:39 am

Michito used to come around and beg me and Louie Conte for lessons, he gravitated toward Louis. This is when he was about 16 and 17 years old when I lived in LA back in 76...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Bongo