FREE CONCERT

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

FREE CONCERT

Postby juancho » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Whoever is in the area this would be nice to check out:

Item No: 74
DAY: Sunday in MANHATTAN

DATE: June 6, 2010

TIME: 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM

LOCATION: Central Park SummerStage, 72 St & Central Park West

ARTIST: LOS VAN VAN. JOSE CONDE and A DJ Tribute to FANIA RECORDS with DJ BOBBITO GARCIA, DJ LAYLO and DJ SAKE-1

GENRE: Cuban

DESCRIPTION: Havana-based sensations Los Van Van, known as ―The Rolling Stones of Salsa,‖ are revered as icons in their native Cuba. Easing of political boundaries between the US and Cuban governments means that American audiences will finally have the opportunity to hear these innovative musicians live. Founded in 1969 by bassist Juan Formell, Los Van Van are among the most influential Cuban musicians of the century. Van Van are the forefathers of the popular songo genre which blends rumba and son Cubano with other contemporary non-Latin styles, like jazz and funk. In 2000, Los Van Van was awarded a Latin Grammy for their album Lleg√õ Van Van (―Van Van is Here‖). Los Van Vanís First US Tour! Singer, songwriter, producer Jose Conde has been much celebrated for his work with the Cuba-centric band Ola Fresca. His two albums with Ola Fresca, (R)Evolucion and AY! Que Rico delved deep and deviated from traditional Cuban music forms, liberally juxtaposing and fusing rhythms and playing with language to achieve a fresh sound. The Brooklyn-based, Miami-raised son of Cuban immigrants, Conde has been featured in numerous Putumayo and Rough Guide compilations. Tonight marks the official unveiling of music from his upcoming solo 2010 release with atmospheric grooves supplied by his funky new, pan Latin powerhouse of a band, the nu Latin Groove. NYC native and world-renowned DJ Bobbito Garcia is the Creative Chief at Project 2050 (an ideas and solutions shop). The former Bounce Magazine Editor In Chief is also the critically acclaimed author of Whereëd You Get Those? NYCës Sneaker Culture: 1960-1987 (Testify Books). In recent years, ―Kool Bob Love‖ has done live on-air halftime reports for the NY Knicks NBA franchise on MSG Network, voiced NBA 2K video games, and hosted ESPNës Itës the Shoes series. In ë07, he designed seven signature Nike Air Force 1 25th Anniversary shoes. Currently, this Renaissance man is the annual Boost Mobile Elite 24 HS All-American Game play-by-play commentator, has a CD compilation out titled Connection (R2 Records), and is touring the world spinning records at various sponsored events for Red Bull, Brand Jordan, and Timberland among others as well as holding down his monthly First Mondays @ Camaradas (Spanish Harlem, NYC) residency. DJ Laylo‟s unrelenting commitment to good music and rocking the crowd has earned her a reputation as one of NYCës foremost turntablists. Born in Puerto Rico to Dominican parents, her musical selection reflects her NY upbringing: Hip Hop, Soul, Salsa, House, Merengue, Reggae, and Afrobeat. She is the co-founder and resident DJ at Liberation Lounge, NYC. Laylo and her partner Eli Efi have performed throughout the United States, Brasil, Mexico, Colombia and Chile, sharing the stage with such artists as Styles P, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli, Jean Grae, Jeru da Damaja, Immortal Technique, Ras Kass, Lord Finesse, CL Smooth, Welfare Poets, Hurricane G, David Banner and many others. Born and raised in the culture of hip-hop, DJ SAKE-1 has been looking for the perfect beat since 1989. A founding member of California's (((Local 1200))) Sound System, DJ SAKE-1 has utilized a combination of advanced science and Bay Area hustle to genetically alter the hip-hop idiom into a 360 degree circle of soul. You can find DJ SAKE-1 kickin' up dust and making 5,000-person venues feel like neighborhood house parties from San Francisco to New York City to Atlanta to London and beyond.

DIRECTIONS: Central Park SummerStage is located at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park. Enter the park at 69th Street and 5th Avenue on the east side or at 72nd Street and Central Park West on the west side. Subway East side: 6 train to 68th or 77th Streets; N, R or W trains to 5th Avenue; F train to 63rd Street and Lexington West side: 1, 2, 3, 9, B or C trains to 72nd Street

FREE
juancho

Re: FREE CONCERT

Postby jorge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 pm

My understanding is that the Van Van tour was cancelled. The Central Park Summerstage concert on June 6, 2010 will be Cesar "Pupy" Pedroso y Los Que Son Son and Jose Conde. Pupy was the piano player for Van Van since the beginning and left them around 2001 to form his own group Pupy y Los Que Son Son, which is one of the top timba / son groups in La Habana. Their drummer Roelvis "Bonbon" Reyes is my favorite of all the timba drummers I have heard. Pupy wrote a lot of the Van Van hits and still does some with his own band. You will not be disappointed, in fact many, myself included, like Pupy's band better than the current Los Van Van. It is still free and still at Central Park.
Jose Conde's group is good, and if Roman Diaz is playing congas with them, that will be a treat. Roman came to the Central Park rumba last week and played tumbador like I have never heard in my 38 years of playing and listening to rumba. Goyo (Muñequitos) and Marquito (Rumberos de Cuba) might come close, but in my opinion Roman is in a league by himself.
The Van Van performance on June 6 and 7 at SOBs was cancelled about a month ago and replaced by Pupy y Los Que Son Son at SOBs on June 10. The current listing in the Central Park Summer Stage calendar lists Pupy y Los Que Son Son, not Van Van for June 6.
http://support.centralparknyc.org/site/ ... &id=110755
Between the Cubans and the US authorities, Cuban bands often have visa difficulties coming to tour in the US, so keep checking up until the day of the concert. If Los Que Son Son cancels at the last minute, you can always come to the Central Park rumba instead. In fact, if they do play that day, we will probably try to get Roman and Bonbon to come to the rumba after they play.
jorge

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey Jorge, I'm still a newbie to this, but what time do the central park rumbas start tyically? Would love to swing by and enjoy. thanks, peace.
MedinaNYC

Postby jorge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Usually we play from 5pm to 10pm. If Pupy is playing in the park, I doubt anyone will be at the rumba until Pupy finishes playing. If Pupy is not there, we will probably start getting started around 5 and really start around 6:30 or 7.
jorge

Postby juancho » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 am

jorge wrote:My understanding is that the Van Van tour was cancelled. The Central Park Summerstage concert on June 6, 2010 will be Cesar "Pupy" Pedroso y Los Que Son Son and Jose Conde. Pupy was the piano player for Van Van since the beginning and left them around 2001 to form his own group Pupy y Los Que Son Son, which is one of the top timba / son groups in La Habana. Their drummer Roelvis "Bonbon" Reyes is my favorite of all the timba drummers I have heard. Pupy wrote a lot of the Van Van hits and still does some with his own band. You will not be disappointed, in fact many, myself included, like Pupy's band better than the current Los Van Van. It is still free and still at Central Park.
Jose Conde's group is good, and if Roman Diaz is playing congas with them, that will be a treat. Roman came to the Central Park rumba last week and played tumbador like I have never heard in my 38 years of playing and listening to rumba. Goyo (Muñequitos) and Marquito (Rumberos de Cuba) might come close, but in my opinion Roman is in a league by himself.
The Van Van performance on June 6 and 7 at SOBs was cancelled about a month ago and replaced by Pupy y Los Que Son Son at SOBs on June 10. The current listing in the Central Park Summer Stage calendar lists Pupy y Los Que Son Son, not Van Van for June 6.
http://support.centralparknyc.org/site/ ... &id=110755
Between the Cubans and the US authorities, Cuban bands often have visa difficulties coming to tour in the US, so keep checking up until the day of the concert. If Los Que Son Son cancels at the last minute, you can always come to the Central Park rumba instead. In fact, if they do play that day, we will probably try to get Roman and Bonbon to come to the rumba after they play.

Jorge, thanks for the update.......it would still be nice to make it.
juancho

Postby TONE74 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Dam! Seeing Pupy for free, thats not a bad deal. Won't miss it. Their recent stuff is actually better than Van Van's. Was looking forward to seeing Van Van but found out a few weeks ago that they cancelled and it wasn't a visa problem. I'm hoping to see Elito y el Charangon ( my favorite band )this year too.
Last edited by TONE74 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TONE74

Postby jorge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:23 am

So why did Van Van cancel their tour if it wasn't a visa problem?
jorge

Postby TONE74 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:05 am

TONE74

Postby jorge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:12 am

Gracias Antonio. That is good to know, that the spokesman for Los Van Van says it was an unresolved business problem, not a political problem.
If you want to go see Pupy on Sunday, get there early to wait on line for a free ticket. Or go to SOBs on June 10, just make sure you buy your ticket soon, it will sell out.
When is Reve coming? I couldn't find that on Google.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:35 am

Great stuff man, wish I was there for it.

Speaking of Los Van Van, they are due to return to Sydney in late August I believe, possibly doing support for the gig again. Got to spend a week with them last time they were in town, jammed out hard with Samuel.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 am

A week hanging out with Van Van? Damn. We should be wishing we were there in Sidney. We will be lucky if we can get Bonbon and Duniesky to sit down with us for 10 minutes at our rumba after Pupy's concert.
jorge

Return to News