Victor "El Negrito" Pantoja

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Victor "El Negrito" Pantoja

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:06 pm

I have just received news that my ol friend and fellow Conguero Victor "El Negrito" Pantoja has passed...he had been in the hospital and they did have a fundraiser for him, and of course everyone turned out for it. I first met Victor back in the 60's when he was with his 'compadre' Willie Bobo. They had both grown up in Spanish Harlem and recorded many albums together. Victor most famous musical influence was when he put AZTECA together with "Coke" Escovedo in 1970-71, and they released 2 albums-AZTECA and PYRAMID OF THE MOON...hard to find today...Victor followed Willie to the west coast where he spent the rest of his life performing with everyone from Johnny Nelson to Cal Tjader and many many others...IBAE Victor Descanse en paz....say hello to Willie for us!...."JC" Johnny Conga
Victor Pantoja.jpg
Victor Pantoja.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
JohnnyConga

Re: Victor "El Negrito" Pantoja

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 am

RIP Victor Pantoja. A whole generation of latin percussionist is leaving us. We have to be thankful for their contributions and inspiration.
RitmoBoricua

Return to News