What is a good book/video for beginners? - Learning the basics

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Gallichio » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Berimbau- excellent recommendations. I agree.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Gallichio » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:47 am

I have a DVD for the beginners on Congas and one on Bongos No flash just the basics for the Beginner, here is some info-

I HAVE BEEN ASKED SO OFTEN HOW I GET THE SOUNDS FROM THE CONGA DRUMS THAT I WANTED TO MAKE A DVD SHOWING HOW. **** NEW BEGINNERS CONGA DVD IS NOW AVAILABLE **** YOU WILL LEARN- *THE SLAP* *THE OPEN SLAP* *THE MUFFELD SLAP* *HEAL-TOE* *THE OPEN TONE* *THE MUFFELD TONE* *THE RIM TONE* *THE STICK TONE* THE MOOSE TONE* *THE ELBOW TONE* *BASS TONE* *THIS IS A GREAT TOOL IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TIME FOR LESSONS* *IN THIS DVD YOU WILL LEARN THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CONGA DRUMS* *HOW TO TUNE YOUR CONGA DRUMS* *THE PROPER HAND TECHNIQUES FOR PLAYING YOUR CONGAS* *THE TUMBAO* *BOLERO* *PLENA* *CALYPSO RHYTHMS ARE COVERED IN THIS DVD* THIS DVD WILL HAVE YOU ENJOYING YOUR CONGA DRUMS IN NO TIME! JUST SEND A CHECK FOR $20.00 WITH YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS TO MIKE GALLICHIO AT- 2 SOUTH 121 STRATFORD ROAD GLEN ELLYN IL 60137 AND I WILL SHIP IT RIGHT OUT.

I have sold hundreds of this DVD and have had some great response.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby riveramm » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:50 am

FSTOP,

You probably has already get the video but i will recomend Bobby Sanabria getting started on CONGA basic in that you will find what you looking for include the history of the instrument ,how to tune 4 basic stroke, care of the hands the clave 2/3 3/2 pattern play along with the music a lot for beginners very helpful

Mel
riveramm

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:58 am

3 of the books that the group of 4 or 5 of us are currently learning and practising from are entitled "Bembe Conversations", "Rumba Guaguanco Conversations", and "Traditional Afro-Cuban Concepts". All 3 are written by Arturo Rodiguez, who calls Seattle home. They are published by Mel Bay.
He has come up to Victoria a few times for some workshops and it is from him that I first became interested in this style of music and culture.
There is a CD in each book that concisely covers each section and they are definitely geared for the beginner. That being said, one should still have a good grasp of hand technique and a real bonus would be to have at least 4 or 5 other people to practise with on a regular basis. It should be A LOT easier to find a good teacher out where you live than here on the Wet Coast of B.C! Keep us informed!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:16 pm

any videos by KALANI for beginning Conga I would recommend....Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Previous

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students