Grupo Oba-Ilú, Afro-Cuba: Drums of Cuba - Need help identifying track list order

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Assaf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi folks

See this CD: http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=10133
also featured here: http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-from-oba-ilu.html

It has really clear and traditional examples of Afro Cuban percussion. Very useful for study. Except, that is, for the massive b*lls up of getting the tracklist all in the wrong order.

I bought the CD anyway, and was wondering if together with you guys we could establish the true order. I've started the process be identifying those tracks that I can. But perhaps some of you out there could help by filling in the blanks, or fixing any errors I've made.

If you visit the site you can hear sound clips of everything.

Many thanks
Assaf

1. Ochosi (Agüere)
2. Makuta
3. Abakua
5. Oggun
6. An Arara??
7. Palo
9. Elegua (Latopa)
11. Iyesá??
12. Agayu:Toque (Changó-rumba)??
13. Guiro
14 Oya:Abakua (Tuitui)
15 Bembe
Assaf

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 am

Hi Assaf,
Here it is:

1. Ochosi (Agüere)
2. Makuta
3. Abakua
4. Arara (variant 2 - Soyi)
5. Oggun
6. Arara (variant 1 - Mase)
7. Palo
8. Arara (variant 3 - Gervioso)
9. Elegua (Latopa)
10. Iyesa (variant 1 - 12/8)
11. Iyesa (variant 2 - 4/4)
12. Agayu:Toque (Changó-rumba
13. Guiro
14 Oya:Abakua (Tuitui)
15 Bembe
16. Yuka
17. Chango (Bayuba)
davidpenalosa

Postby Assaf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:39 am

Wow, fantastic!
Did you work that out just now in response to my query, or had you researched this CD's tracklist in the past?
I expected this would require some collaboration from several people, not just one. Have you studied all these styles of music?
THanks very much though. This is great.
Assaf
Assaf

Postby ralph » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:37 pm

David P, is very familiar with various forms of afro cuban music, in other words, "He aint no slouch!"....

I got the recording as well and have heard from others that the track listing was all out of order, ( I myself haven't even had a chance to listen to it yet), leave it to a label out of London to mess it up (SoulJazz)...well at least they put it out right?
ralph

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks Ralph. Assaf, I have studied some of the rhythms and have at least a familiarity with the others. It looks like you were able to figure out the list almost entirely on your own. When I got the CD I noticed that the list was messed up, so I listened to the tracks and figured out what was what.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Assaf & David -

thank you guys for your work; so I don't have to do it by myself. I was impressed by the sound, too, and when I realized that the list was as messed up as with the Orisha Aye series, I simply put it back in its case and saved the work for the future. I must have had a similar look on my face like when my baggage didn't arrive at Havana airport.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students