Tomas Cruz - looking for volume 2

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby akdom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi all

I am looking for the Tomas Cruz method DVD second hand.

Anyone has it?

I am ready to trade too.

Thanks in advance.

B
akdom

Postby Diceman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:25 am

Man, I think these are going to be books you wont get hold of second hand, once you have them you dont let them go.

But good luck anyway, try Amazon, fingers crossed.

suave
Diceman

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:36 am

Diceman,
You are so on the money my brother cuz I wouldn't part with mine for nothing. These are in my opinion, a great source of learning how to play tumbadoras from beginner to advanced. The accompanying DVDs are an excellent addition!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby TONE74 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm

I would just buy them new. They are worth the money in my opinion. I just read that he is almost done with volume 4 which he has been working on for some time. Peace
TONE74

Postby Diceman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Tone,

You wont regret it brother.
Thanks for the heads up on Volume 4, I am going to need something to do with my time in about five years time :D :D

suave
Diceman

Postby akdom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 pm

OK, I know it is a good learning tool

I might just buy them new then...

B
akdom

Postby TONE74 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:03 am

Yeah Diceman, Its been forever on that volume 4. I think this time is for real since I read that he is using the material on vol. 4 in some workshops he is doing in Europe so It sounds like its for real. Peace
TONE74

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I gotta tell you guys with all the books videos and whatever, may help u to a point, then you will need "practical applications" in a band/musical situation....to me it's like studying Karate without a Sensei....what are u gonna do give your self a blackbelt? ....try to find a "Conga Mentor' somebody that can help you get to where you need to go.. watching all those great videos, leave out the most important thing how to play in a band, what to play, when to play, how to count,read, theory, and more....yea you can "cop" what these guys are doing but if you have no place or situation to apply this knowledge and know how, what good is it?....just my 3 congas....Once again I am offering a "Conga Intensive"....please read my other posts under "Conga Camp"..."JC" Johnny Conga...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqaHLhinvPo
JohnnyConga

Postby akdom » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:58 am

Hi JC

I totally agree with you..

And I am working the other way around....

It is because I am playing in a Latin band that I want to get these methods, just to find some more technical stuffs and new things to try to get a more elaborate playing.

I have been playing percussions for over 15 years, but I always love to watch videos or to read books, and I never had the Tomas Cruz in front of me.

So, I do agree, the best way to improve is to play in a band... Timing, feeling, arrangements etc make you progress...

B
akdom

Postby Salseroberlinense » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:03 am

A friend of mine I know from a percussion group bought the second DVD and we watched it together. It was great to learn some new stuff, and it gives confidence if you already know the basics about what a band might expect from you. Nevertheless if you don't show what you learned to someone who plays better you may miss important recommendations on where you could improve. Few things suck more than getting told that something you got accustomed to is badly flawed, so better check quickly.
Salseroberlinense

Postby akdom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi all

I finally bought the 3 books and DVDs brand new.. That was my best buy of the year.

The first book is for beginners and except for the reading, I have to admit that I didn't learn much, but the second book is just great.... and the third too of course...

B
akdom

Postby Derbeno » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Don't take this the wrong other than some friendly advice.

It is worth looking carefully at book one (and DVD)rather than dismiss it as basic.
There may be some ingrained bad habits that require attention. The various exercises including rudiments are also useful no matter what level one may be at.

In any case you have made a wise investment. I heard that his new book can be expected at any time
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby akdom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 am

Derbeno wrote:Don't take this the wrong other than some friendly advice.

It is worth looking carefully at book one (and DVD)rather than dismiss it as basic.
There may be some ingrained bad habits that require attention. The various exercises including rudiments are also useful no matter what level one may be at.

In any case you have made a wise investment. I heard that his new book can be expected at any time

I do agree with you and this is why I bought the full set and not only the advanced one.
But, and I certainly do not want to brag here, I have been playing for over 15 years and mostly in bands, and I do not think that I kept any bad habits that beginers have.
My chops are clean and sounds are good with right and left hand....
I might have a dozen methos books and DVDs to practice and I play basic rudiments all the time.

I still do advise evryone to get these methods.. I think I bought them for something around 25 dollars.. ended up like 30 euros with shipment....

Saludos

B
akdom

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students