Looking for...

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue May 29, 2007 11:46 pm

Really starting to get into these congas (had some LP Gio's for 3 months now). I've adapted a lot of my own hand techniques and have some pretty cool rhythms from several years of playing djembe, BUT.... I think it's time I also started getting some formal instruction on congas...

That being said, I am now starting to look for some DVD's that show, in very detailed instruction, various hand techniques for conga. Any out there you guys can recommend for a "beginner"? Or for beginner-to-intermediate skill levels?

Also, are there some recommended books for getting some basic LATIN rhythms from? I read music notation, so that will be fine. And at this point I do not care what type of latin rhythms that are in the book, just as long as I can start picking up some basic latin rhythms (I will likely alter them anyway, as I tend to get creative).

Also looking for instruction that discusses the concept of "clave" in a detailed manner.

So, I'm not looking for instructional material that is SO basic that it is a waste of time. Just looking for some great, solid instructional videos and books for the beginner-intermediate level. Any recommendations on books and videos are greatly appreciated!
Whopbamboom

Postby spiritdrum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:56 pm

get anything from Tomas Cruz - Vol 1-3

they are the best instructional media for percussion I have seen. I develop instructional media for a living and am really impressed with the teaching style.

lisa
spiritdrum

Postby Derbeno » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Totally agree with Lisa and on a further note, only you can be your worse critic and determine if you indeed need to go back to "SO basic" as you've put it.

Deeply ingrained habits can be a bummer to get rid off, it's like trying to change how you have pronounced certain words all your life. Be prepared if need be to take a few steps backward thereby establishing a solid foundation to support the tallest building.
It's all a matter of what your objectives are. Enjoy!

Edited By Derbeno on 1184283364
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 am

Whopbamboom wrote:Also, are there some recommended books for getting some basic LATIN rhythms from? I read music notation, so that will be fine. And at this point I do not care what type of latin rhythms that are in the book, just as long as I can start picking up some basic latin rhythms (I will likely alter them anyway, as I tend to get creative).

Also looking for instruction that discusses the concept of "clave" in a detailed manner.

For Latin rhythms just go to the "Congabook" section of Congaplace.com
Its free and has some information on technique as well.

But like others have said the Thomas Cruz are probably best...

I have Michael Spiro's book, it has a very clear and detailed description of what clave is all about, others might as well, but this one I know and can recomend.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Changuiri » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:18 am

CUBAN RUMBA DVD

JAVIER CAMPOS MARTINEZ

IT'S A MUST HAVE
Changuiri

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students