Best DVD method for advanced players?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby akdom » Thu May 03, 2007 3:44 pm

thanks again.

I bought 2 dvd on ebay from LP but they are not quite what I expected.

B
akdom

Postby Changuiri » Fri May 04, 2007 1:06 am

HERE IS A LINK TO A WEBSITE IN ENGLISH WHERE YOU CAN ORDER THE DVD.
http://www.pohodli.com/
detail.php?q=Javier_Campos_Martinez_Cuban_Rumba&id=5173&lang=en

Eliel Lazo Linares IS FEATURED ON A DOCUMENTARY CALLED UNDER THE RADAR.
http://www.undertheradarfilms.org/
Changuiri

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 04, 2007 7:34 am

Tomasito Cruz DVD's are very good also. Especially number 3 for advanced players.
All 3 are awesome.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Paqui » Fri May 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Hello congueros!!

I'm new in this forum and a beginner conga player . Like most newbies, I've spent quite some time reading all your postings and I can tell you that the information contained herein is very valuable; I have found the answers to all the questions I had so far. So, I think is time for me to give something back and post a comment about Tomasito Cruz's method.

Before Tomasito's, I tried countless of methods and all I experienced was frustration :( . My wife always blamed me, because according to her, I'm was awkward and I couldn't hear music, and all her blah-blah-blahs :O , and hers: you're wasting your money...I'm tired of those noises... :angry: . But after Tomasito's I got a break from her and started getting compliments rather than complaints (amorcito, I don't think you're that clumsy...I really like that :cool: .) Right now I cannot play with a band, but at least I have started to feel the rhythm in my hands and that's because I now have a private instructor at my side who is guiding me stroke by stroke to put the magic of the drum together.

I know that the question asked was: Best DVD method for advanced players? And I'm here talking about my beginner's experiences with Tomasito's method, but IMHO if this method can be so easily absorbed by someone who started on tumbadoras from scratch with it, then Tomasito's advanced DVD should be a source of delight for those that have been playing for a long time.

Please note that I respect all of your standpoints and that what I have written here is just my personal opinion. I don't know Tomás Cruz neither I want to discredit other's hard work, but I feel that nothing available in the market today compares to Tomasito's method.

I wish MelBay would produce the same method for bongos --I know that you may suggest such and such title, but I agree with my wife about my clumsiness; when it comes to music, I can learn, but I'm one of those who need to be taught stroke by stroke .

Thanks a bunch guys and gals for putting together such a wonderful site and for sharing all your knowledge with those like me, who aspire to become a conga player one day -At least to play at church and during Christmas festivities .

God bless you all!!

Paqui

P.S.
IMHO <<--- I learned this acronym here :;):
Paqui

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 04, 2007 9:29 pm

Just so everyone knows it's NOT Tomas's technique ...it is what he was taught over a 9 year period at La Escuela del Artes in Cuba, from the ageof 9 to 18....and of course the way he plays is not different than all the other cats that studied at that school, they all learned the same way...with over 6 different drum teachers..and YES I would recommend the books that Tomas has out...it IS THE CUBAN METHOD of learning....."JC" Johnny Conga...ps WELCOME PAQUI ...TO OUR FAMILY OF DRUMMERS!...."JC" :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Paqui » Fri May 04, 2007 10:48 pm

JohnnyConga,

A million thanks for welcoming me!!

Yes, you're right about "La Escuela del Artes in Cuba" --What a great idea to make this method available worldwide.

By the way, I recently bought a clave block, a cowbell foot pedal bracket and a foot pedal from Pearl and saw a picture of yours in a small catalog tha came with the shipment. It's a great pleasure to me to be able to talk to you as well as -I hope- to others experienced percussionists.

Paqui :D
Paqui

Postby Isaac » Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 pm

The new Michael Spiro Book/CD also has
some excellent advanced exercises and new
concepts for achieving better hand independance.
It's not for beginners.

You can get it from www.descarga.com:

http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/21810.60?QurCe3nT;;71

or Sher Music

http://www.shermusic.com/conga-drummer.htm or

~ ISAAC (Funky Tradition)

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... gaDrum.jpg
Isaac

Postby taikonoatama » Tue May 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Isaac wrote:The new Michael Spiro Book/CD also has some excellent advanced exercises and new concepts for achieving better hand independance. It's not for beginners.

I've had lessons from Mike both privately and in workshops and can attest to the fact that he's one of the best teachers I've ever had, in any subject. And this book is great.

One of the best things is his explanation (with audio samples and visuals) of what he calls "fix"- the mysterious land between four and six.

~Taiko

Edited By taikonoatama on 1178657385
taikonoatama

Postby Changuiri » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:27 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:i woul'd like to advice this dvd :

Cuban Rumba, by the master drummer Javier Campos Martinez : http://world.abeillemusique.com/produit.php?cle=14432

Il's about rumba !

I JUST RECEIVED THIS VIDEO AND IT'S THE **** BRO, THKS ZUNZUN!
Changuiri

Postby tamboricua » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Changuiri wrote:
Laurent Lamy wrote:i woul'd like to advice this dvd :

Cuban Rumba, by the master drummer Javier Campos Martinez : http://world.abeillemusique.com/produit.php?cle=14432

Il's about rumba !

I JUST RECEIVED THIS VIDEO AND IT'S THE **** BRO, THKS ZUNZUN!

Changuiri,

Did you have any trouble playing back this DVD on your player?

I have wrote several times to Abeillemusique with no response at all.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby rebongo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:30 pm

Tamboricua,
I have the DVD of Javier Martinez: no problem with my dvd players.
rebongo

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:11 pm

rebongo wrote:Tamboricua,
I have the DVD of Javier Martinez: no problem with my dvd players.

Hi Rebongo,

Cool!!!

Thanks for letting me know.

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby onile » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:52 pm

Alafia Abures!
Espero que todo este bien con toditos ustedes!

I have the terrible misfortune to not be able to interpret the language on the website where the DVD of Javier Martinez is offered. Would someone be so kind as to let me know how I might be able to order a copy of it?

Your help is much appreciated!

Suave!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:39 am

The Javier Martinez DVD looks interesting, what is that site , in French?

The Micheal Spiro book/ CD is nice. You can even get it at Music 123. I agree Michael is a great teacher. some can play, and some can play and teach. That is another art in itself. I had the opportunity to learn alittle bit from Michael when I was learning the Bata from Michaels student prior to being Omo Anya. Michael happened to drop by one session one day, when I barely knew the toque. Talk about sweating bullets LOL :D

T
Tonio

Postby rebongo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 am

Javier Martinez DVD is a good work: it shows every instrument's basic pattern of the main folkloric cuban styles, and also the complete rhythm.
I ordered the DVD from a French site, and my english is bad, but my french does'nt exist!!
Onile, I look for the site, I'm going to tell you.
rebongo

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students