Tomas Cruz Conga Method Vol 3 Timba - Anyone familiar with this book/DVD set?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby congamyk » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:29 pm

I ordered these and can't wait to check them out!
congamyk

Postby OneDrumBum » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:09 pm

Yo
Man I gotta get these books, I've been eyeing them for awhile now. Olsongo thanks for the tip on where to buy and I reaaly dig this post. I had the same question. Is there anything else out there that compare's to this?
Matt
BoomISlapitABoom

Tree Beatin Skin Slaper:)
OneDrumBum

Postby congamyk » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:07 am

I got Volumes II & III today, Volume I is on back order and should arrive in 3 days.

All I can say is this is the best book/DVD learning tool I've seen so far. Tomas' is a great player and covers so much it's amazing. Volume II covers several different rhythmic styles of Mozambique, Cumbia, Songo (9 different styles) and much much more.

Volume III.... I won't be able to get to for a few months. I watched it once and it's freakin awesome.

I recommend these to anyone.
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:40 pm

As I said before these are very complicated rhythms that will take a LONG time to absorb to memory , also remember he spent YEARS learning these rhythms from no less than 9 teachers in Cuba over a 10 year period, how else could he remember all that he shows so easily....so take your time cause it's gonna take a long time to learn all of it......I also noticed that some rhythms have even been 'renamed" some I thought were Mozambique rhythms have now become Songo patterns....go figure....."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby congamyk » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 pm

I concur JC, there's years of study in these. This is a very comprehensive system.
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:38 pm

Yes truly comprehensive and my hats off to his teachers.. what i found out is that "Individual" teachers are responsible for individual styles and rhythms, and that is why he had so many.... this was confirmed by one of my students just back from Cuba who had 3 different teachers for 2 weeks....interesting...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby congamyk » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:21 am

Iyesa - I search the site before writing this and didn't come up with anything.
Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

I'm not that familiar with bata drums/rhythms.
The rumba group here in KC plays them from time to time
but I haven't had any other exposure.
Tomas plays Iyesa on congas in Volume II and I am completely fascinated.
I'm still somewhat new to congas, have other's here studied this rhythm and play it on congas?
It is FUNKY!

Edited By congamyk on 1151634100
congamyk

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:56 am

congamyk wrote:Iyesa - have other's here studied this rhythm and play it on congas?

Hey congamyk,
Iyesa is played on iyesa drums. There's only two cabildos left in Matanzas that still use the acyual iyesa drums. Many drummers play the iyesa rhythm (mainly the 4/4 version) on conga drums though. Back in the 70's when I first began playing congas, a conga drum adaptation of iyesa was quite common. That adaptation involved using conga drum technique. Since the late 80's however, the common practice has been to play the iyesa patterns with sitcks on the drums, using the actual iyesa technique.

The bata drums have a bata adaptation of iyesa that they play to accompany iyesa songs and dance. Tomas' iyesa invento is a conga drum adaptation of this bata adaptation of iyesa. While there's no doubt that the bata adaptation of iyesa was the inspiration for Tomas Cruz, his pattern is only loosely based on that rhythm.

An yeah, it's funky!
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby rumbaman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Hy to all. Hope all are healthy . I have the first two volumes and they are awsome . I mean realy good .

rumbaman
rumbaman

Postby trickyricky » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:09 am

Greetings and love to everyone!!
I gots 'em all and plan to spend the rest of my life learning, practicing...practicing...practicing. There is enough stuff in those three books/dvds to keep me busy.......at least until I get JC's instructional dvd's :laugh:

Peace....NOW!
Rick
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:34 am

Hey guys,
I think these books are so great and I've enjoyed reading the comments on this thread that I figured I'd open it up once again.

I've only been playing congas for seven months now. Five months ago I picked up volume one of the Tomas Cruz books. Eventually I got all three volumes.

I'm currently studying volume two but every now and then I go back to volume one and go over some of the rudiments/recursos of which I really didn't focus on too much. I'm learning the material in the order that the books teach them. Currently I'm at the Mozambique section of volume two.

I must say that the Iyesa pattern took me a while to play it at the rate that Tomas does in the accompanying video. But it has become one of my most favorite patterns and it feels great to play it! I make it a point to practice it every day.

Personally, I think these books are great! Admittedly, I don't have much to compare them with due to my lack of knowledge but I would recommend these books to any conguero, experienced or novice. And yes, they're loaded with lots of material. I probably won't touch volume three for months to come.

I had the good fortune of seeing Tomasito play here in NYC last December with Arturo Sandoval. Man, this cat has some chops! I can only hope that the MelBay publishing company can convince Tomas to write additional volumes particularly on the applications of Afro-Cuban folkloric music.

What are some of your favorite patterns or techniques from these books? Please share your thoughts with us.

afrocubarico

Edited By afrocubarico on 1159079151
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby congamyk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:57 am

afrocubarico wrote:I must say that the Iyesa pattern took me a while to play it at the rate that Tomas does in the accompanying video. But it has become one of my most favorite patterns and it feels great to play it! I make it a point to practice it every day.

afrocubarico I agree with you. These books have revolutionized my playing. The Iyesa pattern is very funky and it took me awhile to figure it out. It sounds really good when played over R&B and funk too.

The Marcha "Bomba" ( first pattern in Volume III) is worth the price of the 3rd book alone.
congamyk

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:23 am

Congamyk,
Thanks for the tip on the Bomba pattern. I'll definitely take a sneak peek at it. Another favorite of mine is the Dengue pattern also from volume two. When I first learned it, I couldn't get it out of my head for the entire day at work! LOL.

One of the many benefits in learning these rhythms is the fact that my left hand open tones have improved immensely (I'm right handed).

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby afrocubarico » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:19 am

Hey guys,
Quick question for those of you who own volume two of the Tomas Cruz Conga Method Books, I'm currently learning the Mozambique pattern.

The written notation in the book indicates closed slaps. However, when viewing the dvd, it looks as if Tomasito is playing open slaps on this pattern.

I guess I can learn to play this rthym both ways but was wondering if anyone knows which tone is being played by Tomas on this pattern, open or closed slaps? Thanks!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Previous

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students