CHANO POZO DVD - DOCUMENTARY

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:14 pm

FINALLY A DVD ON CHANO POZO. DESCARGA.COM STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Discography
Mega Search Artist
Chano Pozo
The Legacy Of Chano Pozo DVD
Import DVD (Malanga Time 2869066),
Editor's Pick:
Just in! The first DVD exclusively about the legendary percussionist and composer Chano Pozo, who helped forge a new era of Afro Cuban jazz and Bebop. This documentary has some rare archival footage as well as five complete new performances by Tatá Güines and others. Interviews with Danilo Orozco, José Reyes, Oscar Valdés, Ramón Fajardo, Manuel Villar, Orlando Alonso, Leonardo Padura, Lino Neira, Jorge Reyes, Changuito, Tatá Güines and Yoraldy Abreu.
Subtitles in Spanish, French and English. Compatible with all DVD players for worldwide viewing.
Review to follow shortly.
Highly Recommended. (BP, 2006-07-11)
Description:
An outstanding documentary presenting the life and times of the celebrated Cuban conga drummer Chano Pozo, one of the first Latin American musicians to make a name for himself in the New York jazz music scene!
Includes a filmed concert with modern Cuban musicians playing the best of Chano's compositions.
This DVD feature is an absolute must have for all Latin jazz lovers.
This wonderful release tells the story of conga drummer Chano Pozo, true legend of both Cuban and jazz music. The descendant of West African slaves brought to Cuba in the 18th century, Pozo grew up in a communal apartment complex that had been a slave quarter. He practiced the Yoruba religion, was schooled in Lucumí chants, and participated in a secret Abakua brotherhood, the Cuban "leopard society," founded to preserve the values and beliefs of Africans from Cameroon and Nigeria.
A pioneer in Latin jazz and bebop, he was the first to compose well known songs which became classics, like "Cubana Be, Cubana Bop," "Tin Tin Deo" and "Manteca," which he recorded playing and singing during his brief stay with the orchestra of Dizzy Gillespie. An icon of Cuban music, Chano's violent death in 1948 at the hands of a d rug dealer was as strange as his life. Both are examined on this insightful documentary, which includes numerous interviews with Chano's relatives, friends and followers as well as with fellow musicians, like Dizzy Gillespie himself, who is seen and heard in a rare archival film. --- from liner notes
Bonus features:
Complete performances: "Manteca," "Descarga Chano in Memoriam," "Rumba Con Swing," "Tata Güines," and "Nagüe."
Languages, Subtitles: Español, Français, English
Worldwide viewing.

Edited By SkinDeep on 1152987844

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -chano.gif
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:42 am

If done correctly, this should be a great addition to any collection.

Looks like its time to start saving up, so many things I want from descarga.com... So little money! :( :laugh:

Nice fine there SkinDeep! :cool:

Direct link to product on descarga.com found by clicking on the following link:

http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/21914.20?WxD7teRb;;347

Edited By ABAKUA on 1153028566
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby SkinDeep » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 am

SAME HERE!!!
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:18 am

Congaplace,

CD Universe carries this title for $16.69, a lot cheaper than Descarga. Here is the direct link:

Legacy of Chano Pozo DVD

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1157473618
tamboricua

Postby Charangaman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Looks like it's going to be lean times in the Charangaman household... But happy lean times :)
Charangaman

Postby niallgregory » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:40 pm

got my hands on the chano dvd plus the candido one aswell .Both quite good but i think the candido is a better production .The band performances at the end are a big rough(on the chano one ) out of sync etc .None the less is great that people are making these kind of documentaries in the first place :D

Edited By niallgregory on 1157470926
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:36 pm

niallgregory wrote:got my hands on the chano dvd plus the candido one aswell .Both quite good but i think the candido is a better production .The band performances at the end are a big rough(on the chano one ) out of sync etc .None the less is great that people are making these kind of documentaries in the first place :D

Niall,

I digged the percussion Descarga by Changuito, Tata and Yaroldy Abreu.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1158691058
tamboricua

Postby niallgregory » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:01 pm

tamboricua wrote:
niallgregory wrote:got my hands on the chano dvd plus the candido one aswell .Both quite good but i think the candido is a better production .The band performances at the end are a big rough(on the chano one ) out of sync etc .None the less is great that people are making these kind of documentaries in the first place :D

Niall,

I digged the percussion Descarga by Changuito, Tata and Yaroldy Abreu.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

hi jorge ,

I enjoyed that also .The other stuff wouldnt be my cup of tea . Watched the dvd again a few times .Great to have this stuff :D Niall .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby zaragenca » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:42 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I will,thanks for the information.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students