campana,  bongo - book on bongo bell

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby franc » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:08 am

any on you great friends know if there is a book on campana fills and solos. i mean the bongo bell!! your help wii be greatly appreciated. my best and áche to you all!!! :;): franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:46 pm

franc wrote:any on you great friends know if there is a book on campana fills and solos. i mean the bongo bell!! your help wii be greatly appreciated. my best and áche to you all!!! :;): franc

Hola Franc,

Hope all is well! I don't think such thing exists. At least from my part haven't seen one. Look out for recordings with Chino Pozo, Johnny "Dandy" Rodríguez, José Mangual Jr., Roberto Roena, Alberto Machuca. These players will give you better playing examples than any book.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127317593
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Doesn't Trevor Salloum have a "Bongo" book??...it's on CongaPlace NO???..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:19 pm

For the NEW members of this forum if there is anything u want to know about "playing" and other stuff concerning drumming, GOTO the first page of CongaPlace.com ..there is a "BONGOBOOK" and others there....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Doesn't Trevor Salloum have a "Bongo" book??

Yes, but Franc is inquiring about a book on campana fills and solos. Never hear of such thing!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:51 pm

Franc,

If you want to check out a very hip campana solo, check out the tune "Mi Campana" by La Sonora Carruseles from Colombia. I believe it's percussionist Diego Gale who recorded that campana solo.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127326717
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:10 pm

Never seen a book on campana playing. Normally, you do not see that much improv on "campaneo".

In my opinion, the best "improvisional" campaneros in salsa, from the new generation, and check all their recordings, are ROBERTO ROHENA, MANOLITO (I think Rodriguez of Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz fame, that was also part of PR All-Stars first recordings..that bell was always there), ALBERTO MACHUCA (Most of MPs recordings in late 80s, 90s and lately, lots with Tito Rojas), RAY COLON (New York recordings, RMM Records or Sergio George or Isidro Infante Productions), and ANTHONY CARRILLO (few recordings in which he improv a lot in the campana..There is a Lalo Rodriguez album that he does great campana work). Also, another campanero that has done a lot of improv (or unsual patterns) is ROBERT VILERA, that actually has done more as a timbalero, but did good work as a bongo/campana player in some albums (VICTOR MANUELLE'S 3rd, 4th, 5th albums, DLGs 2nd).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:25 pm

Also timbalero Charlie Sierra has done lots of (unusual patterns) on many of Cuco Peñas salsa productions.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:20 am

thanks all you greats. i guess you are all right. there isn't a campana fill or solo book. i will look on those bongo players you all mentioned. thanks again!!! áche!!! my best to all,
franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:02 pm

One of the All time BEST Campaneros is Cheo Feliciano when he was with the Joe Cuba band in the 60's....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:One of the All time BEST Campaneros is Cheo Feliciano when he was with the Joe Cuba band in the 60's....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

i think i heard Cheo played percussion, but would that mean that he played bongo, or just campana?

Manny Oquendo is no yoke on the campana either....

Speaking of campana solos, i think Jose Mangual does some on his Tribute to Chano Pozo record the one with Manteca 77', on the track "Campanero" if it hasn't been mentioned already.
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:08 am

Cheo would just play bell, though I know he played some bongos too. From what I know the
mystery" bongo player on the Joe Cuba records of the 60's was Tony Fuentes....Joe never "carried" a bongo player on his gigs..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students