Tomas Cruz Conga method vol. 3 do I need it ?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Tomas Cruz Conga method vol. 3 do I need it ?

Postby conguera2 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:07 pm

I just purchased the Tomas Cruz Conga Method volumes 1 and 2. I only brought the first two volumes because I don't currently have the money for all three. I was thinking I'd probably order the third vol. in a couple of months, but after reading a lot of reviews on it I'm not sure if I need to buy it at all. According to the reviews on several different websites vol. 3 basically just teaches you how to play Timba one particular style of playing. I'm not really interested in learning Timba, so I wondered if I'd be fine with just the first two volumes. I know a lot of people on this board own the Conga Method, so I was wondering what their opinion on the 3rd volume is. Should I purchase it even though I'm not really interested in learning to play Timba ? Also if I do purchase it is there much I could gain from it to use in other styles of playing ? If not I'd like to go with another book or course to bring me closer to an advanced level of playing when I get through the first two books. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.
conguera2

Re: Tomas Cruz Conga method vol. 3 do I need it ?

Postby congamyk » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 am

the first 2 volumes will keep you busy for months..... maybe years.
congamyk

Postby Derbeno » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:52 pm

As Myk said I&II will keep you plenty busy.
When you are ready for III you can get it irrespective if you want to get into Timba or not, there are Marchas in there that you can master and throw into your regular playing.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby conguera2 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks for the answers. I just got them by UPS as I started typing this and I can't wait to pop them in the dvd player and start looking through the books. I'm opening the package right now and I didn't expect the books to be so big. I'm sure it will take me a while to master all of this. I don't have my congas yet, but I should get them sometime in the next two weeks. I'm so exited to start practicing with them. Thanks again.
conguera2

Postby JConga » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi Conguera2....you can still practice the hand exercises on a flat surface...these books which I also have, will definetly help you, and it will also test your patience and desire to learn....remember it took Tomas Cruz 9 years to learn what he knows...so take your time, you will get there!...If you have any questions you can email me privetly .....Johnny Conga
JConga

Postby conguera2 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Jconga, It's funny that you would say "you can still practice the hand exercises on a flat surface" because that's exactly what I did today. I actually practiced 3 of the exercises on the bottom of a Culligan water jug. I know that's pretty lame, but it works for me... right now at least. I decided I wanted to learn to play the congas last November and have been saving up ever since. I finally saved up all the money the beginning of the month and placed an order. I've been playing tumbao on tables and my thighs for 9 months, so I'm really exited that I'll have my congas really soon. I really like these books and it will be nice to not only learn the strokes (on my table), but to get the right sounds that only a conga can produce when my set arrives. This site site has been so helpful. Thanks everyone.
conguera2

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:24 pm

conguera2,
Since you're just starting out, I agree with Derbeno, these two volumes will keep you busy for quite some time. I too purchased these books when I first started to learn to play congas 2 1/2 years ago. I found them to be a great learning tool and lots of fun learning the different patterns, especially the folkloric stuff (guaguanco, 6/8, etc., etc.). There is one tumbao that I love to play from volume 3 which seems to grab the attention of those who hear it for the first time (even my current teacher grabbed his video camera and recorded me the first time I played it for him). But volumes 1 & 2 contain some great stuff. Like JC stated, these will test your patience so stay focused and be patient. I think that the way the DVDs break down the patterns is a great way to teach. However, I do want to add, like so many have in this forum, that learning from a teacher (private lessons) is essential to developing good form and technique. If you can afford to hire a good teacher and study the Tomas books, you will definitely get off to a good start. In addition, this site does offer some great information and tips from some really passionate percussionists/musicians. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby conguera2 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 pm

I currently can't afford a private teacher, although I do plan on getting one when I'm able. I just graduated from high school and am in the process of looking for a job to save money for college. A conga teacher isn't exactly at the very top of my list right now. I've been playing the piano for the last 8 years and I'm looking forward to learning another instrument. From what I've seen so far I love the Tomas Cruz books. I've brought tons of piano tutorial books and courses over the years and I don't have one that was able to put it in a way that actually makes you want to practice as much as the Tomas Cruz method does. It might also be because I play piano by ear and hardly ever read sheet music. My preferred way to learn is by listening and that's seems to be easier to do with congas than piano. I'm definitely going to learn the notation also since I want to be as well rounded as possible. Thanks.
conguera2

Postby Firebrand » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am

You don't need it. If you're an absolute beginner, Vol. 1 will teach how to get the basic tones of a conga and play a few basic patterns. Vol. 2 will give you a library's worth of essential rhythms that you will be called upon to play from time to time in run-of-the-mill salsa, latin-jazz, and "criollo" conjuntos. Vol. 3 is really for advanced players who know the Afro-Cuban and Afro-Puerto Rican traditions well enough that they're technically-free to start experimenting with more advanced marchas. I've been playing for 9 years now, and I'm still working on Vol. 2. I don't see myself getting to Vol. 3 until maybe one or 2 years from now. But that's ok.
Firebrand

Postby conguera2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks for the response Firebrand. Everyone's views have been helpful. I'm going to stick with just the first two volumes. At least for a while. I'm really enjoying them and I'm very exited to be getting congas to practice with soon.
conguera2

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students