Comparison of original Valje to LP Valje

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Comparison of original Valje to LP Valje

Postby downbeat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi. This is my first post here.

I just purchased a set of three late-80's LP Valjes in oak (assuming Siam oak): a matching Quinto, Conga, and Tumba. They came with low stands, and the skins were replaced about 5-10 years ago. There's a Valje label on the skins. I don't know what kind of skins they are, but they're very consistent (homogeneous) looking and comfortable with very little ringing sounds. The drums themselves are in great condition (about 9 out of 10), and the chrome is clean and not pitted.

I'm very impressed with the sound and playing action of these drums, and I like the added feature of the rubber ring on the bottom of the drum. I also like the sound better than new LPs, but the "comfort curve" rims are a nice touch on new LPs.

I've never played or heard what the old Valjes were like. Does anyone have a way to compare them? Was the sound richer in the old ones? If so, was it because the wood had aged? Or was the construction of the shells significantly different? How about consistency of construction? How possible was it to get a "lemon"? Do the skins overshadow any sound difference the shells might have? Which shells might keep their shape and last longer? Who was involved in the construction of the LP Valjes, and did that change during the production life cycle?

Sorry for so many questions! :)
downbeat

Re: Comparison of original Valje to LP Valje

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 am

There is no comparison.
bongosnotbombs

Postby downbeat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:There is no comparison.

Thanks, that clears up all my questions. I should just take it on faith. They can't be compared! :roll:

Everyone says the old ones were better - but why were they better?

After reading the page from the link you left, it sounds like LP did a couple of improvements, like beefier hardware, and the rubber bottom ring. But what was lost in the move to LP? Has anyone played them side-by-side? How do they compare?
downbeat

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:05 am

According to this blog http://congadr.blogspot.de/2008/05/valj ... ution.html
there is a devolution regarding the move from handmade to mass-produced Valjes.
Tony said
Tom and Akbar had serious drum making chops that came through the instrument and gave the sound a character that you wont find in a mass produced drum.

Well, there IS (or might be)some magic about the soul of an instrument, which might get lost if it is mass-produced. Or is that just a myth? Dunno.
You might think either way, but I´d say that concerning sound there is hardly any noticeable difference between
those Valje models - just my guess, I have not played any older Valje yet.
Usually it is more in the skin and the hands of a player how "rich" the sound is.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm

The construction of LP Valje shells is completely different that original Valjes, as well as the wood used. The shapes are different as well. The only thing in common is the name. There is a huge amount of information on Valjes both original and LP on this forum. With a little digging you will find answers to all your question and learn quite a bit more about the drums in question as well.
bongosnotbombs

Return to CongaSet and accessories