Player or Collector?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Player or Collector?

Postby docarroyo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:17 pm

I have been playing bongos since I was about 10 years young, congas 13 years young, in that time I have owned many drums and sold many drums. I presently own many Tumbadora and Bongo, I play almost every weekend with conjuntos , R&B bands and am invited to toques on special occasions. I do not consider myself a collector but a player who owns many drums. My question is does a collector just collect the drums but does not play them? Am I considered a collector because I own 20 or so drums although I play them in rotation all the time. I have played with well known bands in NYC and Puerto Rico and am known as a Rumbero in Puerto Rico. While in the U.S. NAVY I had the opportunity to travel the world and play with groups there representing not only the U.S. but my PATRIA y Madre Tierra Puerto Rico. I am currently 56 almost 57 years young so I've been doing this thing for quite a while now and have no idea what you guys talk about sometimes, is it only me that wonders? I come from a family of musicians my father was Rey Arroyo, and my maternal Grandfater played with La Symphonica de Puerto Rico, my first pro gig at the rip old age of 16 was with Johnny Albino I could keep going but what I really want to know are there really people who buy drums just to collect them? Is old Cuco considered a collector but not a player although he played and recorded with many bands in his career in music? Just wondering
docarroyo

Re: Player or Collector?

Postby pcastag » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm a drumset player, I've got three kits, one I use for gigs, the other is set up and one currently is up for sale. I've got five congas, two for guiros that I play about four to five times a year here in houston, three congas for pop gigs which I mainly do on a sub basis about 10-20 times a year, the rest of my gigs are on kit. I collect drums, but mostly buy and sell, I know some cats ( gigging cats) who have wayyyyy more stuff than I do.
PC
PC
pcastag

Re: Player or Collector?

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 30, 2012 1:06 am

We have many here in this forum
that appear to be both, players
and collectors. Now you have
different levels for players
and collectors. Like you have
the hobby type, beginners/novice,
intermediate and advanced or