THE PERFECT DRUM MAKING SHOP

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

THE PERFECT DRUM MAKING SHOP

Postby Thebreeze » Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I emailed Michel at Moperc about a certain set of drums I had seen recently that were not on his website and he replied this morning about it. Every time I have ever emailed Moperc I always get a super quick reply from them. Other Conga makers ( which I won't mention names ) have yet to reply to my last 4 or so emails, yet they have their email listed on their website as their contact info. Anyway...Michel told me that the drums were called "Custom Groove Series" Here is a link to their picture..
http://www.moperc.com/photo/album/grand/48.jpg

He said he can make them in any color combination. I thought they were really nice looking.
The main reason for my post is also to share my thoughts on Moperc because I am impressed with the way they run their shop. It looks like Michel has about 3 or 4 craftsmen that work with him which makes it faster to make drums without compromising quality. I don't know what his waiting list period is but I can't imagine it is anywhere as bad as the solo makers that make you wait at least a year?? Also... I like the way Moper puts the bands on their drums by grooving slightly into the wood itself giving a clean, and flush to the wood construction. I have enclosed two links to some of their Lathing and finishing as well as glueing processes and I have to say that they are just as good or better than anyone out there. He is really a Perfectionist when it comes to quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ced5BV ... e=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDqvDMS ... e=youtu.be

Can anyone share any views/opinions ? Thanks.
Thebreeze

Re: THE PERFECT DRUM MAKING SHOP

Postby pcastag » Mon May 28, 2012 6:26 pm

I have three mopercs, one maple and two ash, I've owned just about every nice high end drum except for juniors and volcanos. They are heavy duty loud drums, more for gigging in loud live situations than folkloric. You won't get the nice warm tones you'd get from some mahogany ritmos or chery wood skin on skin, but you'll get some heavy dury drums with great projection.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Kaban » Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm

They are beautiful drums, i have seen, on a post here, the red Salsa model.. just absolutely beautiful.
Kaban

Postby Thebreeze » Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm

OH....Just one more link. This one shows the Hardware and Final Assembly. Truly awsome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFMnWg0 ... e=youtu.be
Thebreeze

Postby congamyk » Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Kaban wrote:They are beautiful drums, i have seen, on a post here, the red Salsa model.. just absolutely beautiful.

Possibly these?

I have owned 2 sets of Mopercs.
The first set I bought, a friend played them and immediately wanted to buy them from me.
He was willing to pay a high premium because he did not want to wait for them to be made and also thought the drums were unique in sound and wanted that set specifically so i sold them to him.

I immediately contacted Michel and discussed the design I had in mind for a new set.
The set above I designed and Michel had them to me within 3 weeks.
They are the most beautiful & best sounded congas I've ever played.
The workmanship and quality is outstanding in every detail.
Michel is a true craftsman and a gentleman.
Moperc congas are the choice of the greatest rumbero groups in the world.
congamyk

Postby Kaban » Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah, those are it! Hands down, best drums I ever seen. Someday down the road, i going to get a pair just like yours. I love how you got a band up high, and one at the bottom. Do you have any videos of you playing them?
Kaban

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 am

congamyks drums are friken insane. love em. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Dangler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:09 pm

thanks for posting those vids breeze,Michel really has it down.

Maybe Isla will see these vids and take some of his procedures to make a better product
Dangler

Return to CongaSet and accessories