SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:08 pm

KING CONGA wrote:. They are a little smaller than I expected, diameter and height, but the rest was just what I expected.

I really like the SOS height, I play seated and I am a little short, so I find the height very comfortable. Jay told me even though
he calls the drums 13" they usually end up a little smaller in diameter.
bongosnotbombs

Postby taikonoatama » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:
KING CONGA wrote:. They are a little smaller than I expected, diameter and height, but the rest was just what I expected.

I really like the SOS height, I play seated and I am a little short, so I find the height very comfortable. Jay told me even though
he calls the drums 13" they usually end up a little smaller in diameter.

Just a note on how Jay measures his drums:

When I ordered mine he told me that he measures the diameter before cutting the rounded and beveled bearing edge. Measuring with that in mind, mine are exactly as ordered: 11", 12", and 13".

Not saying there isn't variation on some people's SoS's - maybe some are smaller than expected - but just telling you my experience.

James
taikonoatama

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:42 pm

That is what Jay described, after the shell gets on the lathe the dimension can vary a little
bit. I was asking about a smaller tumba size than 13" because that seemed big for me, but the drum
gets a little smaller after being turned on the lathe.
bongosnotbombs

Postby omrhythm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:33 pm

I've had SoS's for about 4 years now. I actually had the most pristine set of Gon Bops from 1980 that sat in someone's closet for 20 years (detuned), and they were simply awesome. But I sold them after I heard SoS for the first time, and immediately ordered and sent a deposit. Turn around time was REALLY rough for me. It took about 18 months. But this was mainly because Jay's wife got sick and passed away, and he was beside himself for at least a year (understandably), and got backed up.

I have played all sorts of high-end hand-made congas, and SoS really is the Strativarious of congas. I have cherry, and chose that because I like the warmer overtones and less attack than Oak. The base tone from the center of the drum, even on the Quinto is absolutely incredible. It is so rich that it is almost best to play them on stands, or with some sort of foot underneath to allow the base tone to carry out.

I would not recommend ANY other Conga to a fellow conguero. Sure, there are other great ones out there. But SoS es numero uno en mi libro!
omrhythm

Postby mkv » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:24 pm

hey, guys,

do any of you know the about costs of the drums?

mikkel
mkv

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:42 pm

$750 per drum for quinto conga or tumba; ash, oak or cherry; chrome or black oxide metal coating.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:21 pm

mkv wrote:hey, guys,

do any of you know the about costs of the drums?

mikkel

Keep in mind that the cost of the drum does not include shipping charges. My recent set cost $78.00 per drum shipped from Afton New York to California :x All of the pain went away as soon as I laid my eyes on those beauties :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSC00010.JPG
KING CONGA

Postby mkv » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 am

Well I'm getting them shipped to Denmark so no worries :roll: haha

well it's cheap compared to what mass produced drums cost here in Denmark, and they dont sound half as good!

btw how can I get ahold af the guy?
mkv

Postby Whopbamboom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 am

King Conga-- is that 1/4-sawn oak?
Whopbamboom

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Whopbamboom wrote:King Conga-- is that 1/4-sawn oak?

That is indeed 1/4 sawn oak, it's got wonderful character.

"mkv" You will not regret the investment on such a high quality Instrument. I played them in a local event for the first time on Saturday I had mic's on them and was in awe the whole time with the sound they put out, incredible. You can see pictures of my set up and of the event at milagro9.com
By the way bnb you can see your cata in one of the opictures, it sure drove some good rhythms :D

mkv wrote:
btw how can I get ahold af the guy?

Here you go mkv
Maestro Jay Bereck - Skin on skin drums
1618 State Highway 41
Afton, NY 13730
Phone: (607) 639-2417
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Nice to see my little musical instrument getting some use next to Jay's congas.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Oye King Conga,

Lucen "criminales" esas timbas SOS. Them SOS tubs look criminal. Enjoy them my friend, they will last forever!

Saludos,

Dario :D
Omelenko1

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Here are my oaks with an ash wood that I no longer have (the one in the middle). They were getting their regular sun bathing. Once every 4 months, I put Manteca de Corojo on the skins and I take them out in the sun, next day I wipe the Corojo off. This does wonders for "los cueros".

Saludos,

Dario
Skin on Skin  ash with oak.jpg
Omelenko1

Postby No.2-1820 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 pm

I do the same Dario with lanolin, a little morning sun and I let them absorb the lotion overnight then wipe off the extra, sometimes I feel guilty at the care I give them but I feel better knowing I'm not alone !

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby Victorius » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:59 am

Omelenko1 wrote:Here are my oaks with an ash wood that I no longer have (the one in the middle). They were getting their regular sun bathing. Once every 4 months, I put Manteca de Corojo on the skins and I take them out in the sun, next day I wipe the Corojo off. This does wonders for "los cueros".

Saludos,

Omalenko, what skins are on your SOS?? :)
Victorius

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories