ISLA PERCUSSION - Discussion, Quality, Experience, etc

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby onile » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:15 am

Alafia Abure Kongo!

Isla actually, to my knowledge, has two styles of drums.....the Modernos which are with four bands and have the funny looking sideplates, and I happen to stumble on the Matanza models when I was visiting their website (which by the way, is difficult to find any more now). After communicating with Mario (great guys), he explained about the Matanza models to me and I went with them. The difference in both is the hardware and the number of bands on the drum.

I had actually seen that price chart on Bongo Mania, however I would have never found the others if I hadn't checked with Mario......well maybe I might have, but no buyers remorse here! You might want to check on Bongo Mania as for the price of Matanza drums, just to be sure!

My daughter had me count the drums I currently have and I have 17 (4- Palladiums; 4 Potatos; 3- Gon Bops; 3- Fats; 3- Islas), I'll be receiving my 4 drums from Matthew Smith in a couple of months, and I still have my order in with Isaac (JCR), he has my 13" Tumba ready, but I want a set.....go figure!

Hey those that can't dance, buy congas :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well at least I do!

Many blessings my brother!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby oscar » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:58 am

mi hermano digame el secreto. como usted convence a su mujer, yo compre unas lp classic y mi mujer casi me mata :D
oscar

Postby onile » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:03 am

Imaginate papa! estoy soltero! Quizas por esa misma razon, pero estoy lo mas contento!
onile

Postby rodmase » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:17 am

Hopefully, here is my photo.

Rodney

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ore2.5.JPG
rodmase

Postby onile » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:36 pm

Alafia Abure Rodney!
What type of congas are those, the pic is so small it's hard to tell. I see some resemblance to Isla congas but I'm not sure! The side plates look different on each of them, maybe it's just the light, but the drum on the left has smaller sideplates than the one on the right!

They look great though!

Many blessings!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1177771081
onile

Postby Changuiri » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:05 pm

WHEN I FIRST SPOKE TO MARIO I ASKED ABOUT MULE AND HE TOLD ME HE DOESN'T USE MULE, THE REASON BEING THAT THE COWHIDE FROM THE WEST IS MUCH THICKER THAN IT IS BACK HOME.
AS FAR AS THE WOOD HE EXPLAINED THAT THE CHERRY IS ACTUALLY MORE FOR THAT BRIGHTER SOUND AS WITH SALSA OR LATIN JAZZ AND THAT THE CANOE IS MUCH DEEPER.
EITHER WAY THOSE TAMBORES ARE MADE WITH LOTS OF LOVE PARA LA RUMBA AND THE SKINS I GOT FROM HIM WERE LIKE ROMPE SARAGUEY FOR MY MEINLS.
I DID ORDER A SET OF BATA, CAN'T WAIT TO GET'EM!! SUAVE.
Changuiri

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:51 pm

onile wrote:Alafia Abure Rodney!
What type of congas are those, the pic is so small it's hard to tell. I see some resemblance to Isla congas but I'm not sure! The side plates look different on each of them, maybe it's just the light, but the drum on the left has smaller sideplates than the one on the right!

They look great though!

Many blessings!
Onile!

The crowns look just like Isla's crown, so they
prbably are..
bongosnotbombs

Postby cmanmoran » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:00 am

I have a set of Isla congas coming next week and I have spoken with Mario a few times regarding his congas. As far as prices go, the cherry wood congas are more expensive than the canoe...I think $100 more per drum. Mario never informed me of different "lines" of congas....they are all the same shape, made the same way and are all custom built...I chose the type of wood, thickness of skin, style of hardware, and number of bands. He never said "this # of bands is Matanzas and this type of hardware is not...etc". They are custome congas all with the same shape. And the skins are North American cow hide. I can't wait to get mine and everytime I see pics you guys post I get anxious. Thanks for you input, it helped me choose what I'm sure will be a great set of drums.
cmanmoran

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:31 am

onile wrote:Alafia Abure Rodney!

They look great though!

Many blessings!
Onile!

Hola Onile,

I'm a recent subscriber to CongaBoard and I've been following the thread on the Isla Percussions congas. I also have a set of 3 currently being made by them: quinto, conga and tumba.

I've quite talked extensively with Mario about 2 of their main models: the Moderna and the Matanza. The Moderna has rectangular tuning rod plates (made of solid aircraft aluminum block) and usually have 4 circular bands (made of aircraft aluminum sheet). The Matanza has more square-shaped plates (made of stainless steel) and have 5 bands.

I'm almost sure that the drum on the left of the picture is an Isla Percussions Moderna model, but with 5 bands rather than 4. The drum on the right is a Matanza model.

Both drums look absolutely beautiful, especially in what appears to natural satin "color"! BTW, your own Islas in Early American Walnut stain, I believe, look simply gorgeous!

Since, I'll be using my Isla Percussion congas mostly for Pop and Rhythm & Blues music, with occasional Latin and Jazz music, I've opted for a reddish stain. Mario has suggested something of a glossy wine red stain.

I can't wait to get my set and start playing them. I should be getting them hopefully within 2 to 3 weeks.

Musically yours,

Manny T
Percussionist, Guitarist & Vocal Soloist (Independent)
109-1176549166

Postby onile » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:13 am

Alafia Abure Mjtuazon!
I hope that you are well my friend!

I must say that I don't think you'll be dissappointed, they sound incredibly good!
Next time you speak with Mario, tell him Tony says "Adelante Boricua!"

I also ordered some additional skins from him to mount on a couple of my other drums, just to try them out! I must say that I have used my Islas on almost all of my recent gigs since I recieved them.

Please post some pics of yours when you receive them Manny!

Suave!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1177900015
onile

Postby rodmase » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:55 am

Thank you for the welcome Onile, The drums I have were built seperately so they have different hardware, I hope to post a larger picture. But I had to downsize the file to in order to attach it.

rodmase
rodmase

Postby congalero » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 am

hey rod,

nice set of drums. the one on the left is the older of the two as it has the original name plate and the one to the right has the new inscribed one. mario was concerned that the isla name would scratch off on the older one, hence the change. a small way to id when they were made; not sure of the time of the change though. the one on the left also has the original side plates made of stainless and avaition aluminum. the aluminum does not need a washer above the nut as it will give and avoid stripping the tuning rod. mario came up the the other side plates later to meet the demand of people who like a traditional cuban look; either one can be ordered at this point. he has put much time in design and engineering of his drums - maybe because he has an engineering background and education. i spent about 4 hours with him a few weeks back and walked away very impressed with the drums and with the man behind them. you will get much enjoyment out of that set and any others you may order. as stated before, mario came up with the cherry version to meet the demand of those who wished a little sharper/louder sound.

Edited By congalero on 1177910699
congalero

Postby rodmase » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi Congalero,

You are right on all counts, Isla has really created a new lane with their classic approach to the drum. Mario always says drums talk, and he really brings the voice out of each one. As far as size goes, there really is not much difference in a 12.5" drum and a 13" but my drums have two very different but harmonious sounds. They make bembe sound like an orchestra of tumbas.

rodmase
rodmase

Postby kongo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 pm

Onile, thanks for the info. Now I'll have a tougher time picking which model to buy from Mario.
They both look great.

This site IS the place to get the low down.

Kongo
kongo
kongo

Postby taikonoatama » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:28 pm

I think I heard from someone that Isla bands are mostly just decorative, the way old Gon Bops were with their aluminum bands. Can anyone confirm this? I know the Isla staves are cut to shape rather than steam-bent, so the normal purpose/functionality of bands isn't what it might be with a steam-bent oak conga with high-tension steel bands that genuinely help to hold the thing together over time (SoS, JCR, etc.). I'm assuming there's no real structural need to have high-tension bands on conga with cut-to-shape staves.

And how about the wood? I know that some woods are just not possible to steam-bend, such as mahogany. I believe it's possible to steam-bend cherry - can someone confirm? How about canoewood? Anyone know anything about it?

Edited By taikonoatama on 1177968645
taikonoatama

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories