conga set reviews....

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby conga KID » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:48 am

ok guys i think its about time we start a thread where people can post reviews on the congas they play and endorse.. as we do have a lot of talented congueros on this site im sure you all have a little something to say about the instrument you play, ive noticed a lot of people such as myself asking about what to get and whats good etc etc... although it does come down to personal preference, i wish i had an idea of what to buy when i bought my congas!! my apologies if this has been done before....peace to you all :cool:
PERCUSSION...A WAY OF LIFE!!
conga KID

Postby FarCanal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:12 am

I currently play a set of LP Aspires....
I use them live on a double stand... I find the drums not very easy to tune and they don't really cut through the music I play. The stands Wobble lots and I've managed to drop the drums whilst on the stand off stage during a gig... Was pretty funny.... The other congas I use are not even worth mentioning.... But all is cool.. I'm getting a set of Accents soon and I'll post what they're like soon....Cheers
FarCanal

Postby treefrog88 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:14 pm

I play a set of Aspires as well and I agree with the above post. OK to start with and the stand is wobly.

Just started playing 3 months ago and would really like to upgrade and will probably do so with my Xmas bonus money. Maybe Matadors would be good since I only play once a week in my church band. Although, I have a mule skin on order from Isaac and am hoping that will help with my sound.
treefrog88

Postby slapadrum » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:14 pm

I play matadors a quinto and conga I am very happy with them they were given to me by the church I play at after my old congas were stolen while in the church trailer.
Now I just need bag they are getting dinged up bad just can't afford them yet.
Chris
slapadrum

Postby Bataboom » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:59 am

Hey you guys play in church bands as well KOOL ! I too play in my church band, I play trumpet and percussion, djembe and congas.

I currently play a church owned set of Meinl headliners. I really like th sound of them with the stock heads, I never played on any other heads so I wouldnt know if Im missing somthing. I did get a cheap cheap set of practice congas for the house to practice during the week, bad choice ... it was something to hit on but that was about it.

The stand is yet again, a tripod stand very wobly and noisey as stated above. if I had my way I would play them on the floor sitting, but where I play on stage we are limited in room and me sitting with them on the floor is kinda not and option so I live with it. But so far I like the headliner congas sound really sweet.
Bataboom

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:33 am

I commented on my thoughts re my LP Palladiums in THIS THREAD - CLICK HERE!

Other than that, I also own 3 LP Classics, fantastic drums, crisp, warm sound, little if any overtones, good projection. Great for recording and live performances.

I got to test out some Meinl Mongo Santamaria series out (thanks to Pidoca) for a gig I had with an afro-cuban/hip hop/funk/raggae band a few weeks back..
While impressed with the high quality of the drum, both wood and hardware, I was extremely dissapointed with the white "True Skin" skins.
The Tumba was ok, nice big deep tone, great base tone also.
But the quinto skin left much to be desired for (within marcha context), it lacked the crispyness and warm sound I have become used to with my LP drums. The quinto lacked body and projection, producing a very flat type of sound with almost no definition and open tones could almost not be distinguished from muted tones... No amount of different tuning could help it.

If that is the standard kind of skin Meinl is using on their drums, I can see why they are having popularity problems in cracking the market here, especially amongst latin percussionists.
I was sadly dissapointed, I was expecting big things from this line of Tumbadoras from Meinl.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby TigerBongo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 am

I'm a Meinl user (mainly because of the limited options available to me here in NZ)....I've had my Meinl Marathons (10", 11", 11 3/4" 12 1/2") since about '97 and have put them through quite abit. The stock heads that came with them were ok - but after upgrading to Isaacs skins - I don't think I'll ever go back. They now sound so much better than they ever did.

For those who are somewhat cash-strapped - buy some medium/good congas - and spend the money to get some of Isaacs heads - best thing you can do to get a great sound with out spending heaps.

The Conguero in the band 'Ritmo Latino' i play in, plays Moperc congas & bongos and also JCR bongos.....His Moperc congas are totally something else - they totally kick the butts of an of the mass-produced congas (LP,Meinl,Pearl,Toca).....he also uses heads from Isaac.

I am looking at buying another set of conga and if I don't go to the likes of Moperc, Timba or another highend manufacturer - I'll probably settle on Lp Patatos - I feel they would be a good contrast to my wood shell congas - and also i do alot of theatre and outdoor gigs during summer - so think the the patatos with nuskyns or evans heads would be the answer....
TigerBongo

Postby CongaTick » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:45 pm

Can't emphasize enough the GREAT difference Isaac's muleskin heads made on my LP Ardientes. I'll never be able to afford the unbelievable array of tubs abakua has, or Volcanic Mangos, so must rely on continuing practice of bettering my technique to make my utility drums snap, crackle and pop...but, man, they were lifted to a new level by those mules.
CongaTick

Postby Diceman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:43 pm

How can I get hold of some Isaac mules? Are they prelapped or plain skins?

Diceman
Diceman

Postby TigerBongo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:37 am

Diceman wrote:How can I get hold of some Isaac mules? Are they prelapped or plain skins?

Diceman

Hi Diceman

Try him via his ebay store - 'Funky Tradition' http://stores.ebay.com/Funky-Tradition

or email: Isaac Gutwilik funkytradition@yahoo.com

The heads I got from him were just flat skins - a conga friend of mine form North America live in NZ tucked them for me onto my conga. I understand he might also be able to provide them pre-lapped - I guess only for particular standard drums.....

Awesome heads - great Guy - what else can I say!

Craig.
TigerBongo

Postby Bizon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:11 am

Hello TigerBongo
I was intersted to hear about the Moperc Congas. Which model are they? Did your conguero fit muleskin heads to them?
Thanks
Bizon

Postby TigerBongo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:39 am

Bizon wrote:Hello TigerBongo
I was intersted to hear about the Moperc Congas. Which model are they? Did your conguero fit muleskin heads to them?
Thanks

Hey there,

yes - he uses Muleskins as well on his Moperc drums (I believe they are from Columbia or Venezula) and they sound great. Pretty much the same as Isaacs.....

His Moperc drums are very similar looking to the Custom Cubano Mopercs - except his have only one ring at the top of the drums....I think he's had his drums for about 10years....4 drums...awesome sound! They are totally a class above any mass-produced drums around.
TigerBongo

Postby Diceman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:16 am

Craig-yo da man!!
Diceman

Postby TigerBongo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:25 am

Diceman wrote:Craig-yo da man!!

Cheers Bro!
TigerBongo

Return to CongaSet and accessories