second hand drums

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Hairy Congas » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:57 pm

Hello you crazy people!

I've been following this forum for a while now and have been impressed with the friendliness and humour of it's members - so I decided to take the plunge and join in!
I've been playing (badly) for about a year now and bought myself a set of Bauer Vintage drums - conga and tumba about two months ago. They really are lovely drums and have a beautiful rich tone, as well as being really well made.
I do have a question for you all though......
Where can I get hold of decent second hand drums? I've tried looking on Ebay but most of the drums there are for beginners.....There must be thousands of people out there with nice drums hidden in the attic or something.......
I guess part of the problem is living in the UK - I've seen some lovely drums for sale in the States but the shipping is a killer!
And in case you were wondering - I want a second hand drum because I don't want to drag my (not cheap) Bauers to festivals! :D and also just because I love congas!!!! :laugh:
Cheers Guys!
Hairy Congas

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:36 am

uk - but moving to Oz soon!

Yo! Welcome to the boards! Enjoy your stay, take a seat, put your feet up, beer's are in the fridge, please return all remote controls upon check out! :p

Where abouts in Oz you moving to dude? Im in Sydney.
There are many places to get second hand drums if you wanted to wait till you are here...

Oh, and as for your Bauer Vintage drums, they would be a definate rare posession here. Make sure you bring them with you no matter the cost!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Hairy Congas » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 pm

Hey there Abakua!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to be moving to Melbourne - probably around the Yarra - Dandenong area.
I have to warn you though......I'm a Pom!!!! :(
It's good to know there is stuff going on out there - I've been trying to look up drum / Latin stuff in Melbourne and haven't really seen anything on the internet so was starting to get a bit worried ???
I'll keep you posted and let you know when I hit dirt!
Hairy Congas

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:04 am

Hairy Congas wrote:Hey there Abakua!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to be moving to Melbourne - probably around the Yarra - Dandenong area.
I have to warn you though......I'm a Pom!!!! :(
It's good to know there is stuff going on out there - I've been trying to look up drum / Latin stuff in Melbourne and haven't really seen anything on the internet so was starting to get a bit worried ???
I'll keep you posted and let you know when I hit dirt!

So what if you are Pom? :D We are not in the international politics or races game, we are of the drum! :cool:

Any particular reason for choosing Melbourne?

Anyway, in Melbourne there is also a latin movement with several good percussionists also..

One which stands out is Javier (forgot the surname) he's been studying with Changuito in Cuba for a few years now 6 months at a time. Any of the percussionists from known bands over there can point you in his direction...
Look for stand out bands such as "Los Rumberos",
the afro cuban folkloric enemble "Ile Ashe", its core 5 members are all initiated as batá drummers or devotees of the Afro-Cuban religion Santería and have all studied the religion's traditional songs, dances and history as part of their ceremonial training in Cuba.
Another band to look out for is Orquesta Del Barrio.
All 3 groups have well versed percussionists which love getting together and jamming no matter where you are from.
Or my old compay 'Pipo' knows all the cats in Melb, you just need to head out to check one of these bands and drop a few names, you will soon meet up with all the guys in the Melb. scene.... But Sydney percussionists are better! :p
hehehe a little border rivalry never hurt noone! (jokes)

If you do get in touch with Javier (known as Harvey) in Victoria, tell him Marcelo from Sydney says hello! Lost touch with him a few years ago...
:(
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Hairy Congas » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:24 pm

I'm moving to Melbourne cos that's where my Lady is from....and also I don't know if I could survive through a Sydney summer........maybe we'll move that way later.... ???

Many thanks for the advice and recommendations - I have to be honest with you though..... although I really enjoy learning all the traditional styles of cuban music (my teacher is totally absorbed in it!) what I really love is conga played in funk / soul kind of music; stuff like Curtis Mayfield, Cymande, dub reggae....that sort of thing. (I hope I don't get lynched for saying that! :( ) But each to their own right?
I do absolutely believe that you have to learn the fundamentals first though - although the way I'm going I'm going to be a little old man by then! :D
Anyway thanks for the support! And I'll look out for you if I get to Sydney!
Hairy Congas

Return to CongaSet and accessories