matador custom - do they sound as good as regular matador

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby slapadrum » Wed May 04, 2005 11:54 pm

I am trying to replace my congas which were stolen from the church I play at (that will teach me to leave my congas anywhere) any how I was looking at matador customs because I am on a budget how do they rate
thanks for your imput
slapadrum

Postby Raymond » Thu May 05, 2005 9:12 pm

From what I've heard is the same drum but with different, powdered black, hardware. Therefore, they should sound the same. The decrease in price is due to the fact that the powdered black hardware is cheaper to produce than the chrome hardware. (Don't know if the chrome is sturdier than the black but I do not think so).

This is LP response to everybody's way to cut costs, hence, prices.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RayBoogie » Fri May 06, 2005 5:12 am

The Matador's with the black hardware as stated by Raymond is not the greatest hardware. If you tune them uneven you might bend the ring. I have Matador's myself, the one with the chrome and I'm very happy with them. If I were you, I would dish out a little more cash to get the Matador's with the chrome! Just my two cents.
RayBoogie

Postby Isaac » Mon May 30, 2005 7:53 am

I feel for your loss, - I had some nice bongos stolen from me when I turned my back fro a moment while I was loading my van after a gig. It was liekely one of the parking lot attendants.
The new hardware on the custom matador is crappy. It' ll warp soon especially if you want to replace the head for a better and thicker one. The original matadors are still around.
The new ones are only named matador, but have little in common with the old ones, in weight or general quality.
Also, keep in mind the real set should be a conga & tumba pair - not a quinto & conga. I usually recommend getting the best single conga you can afford, and then buying the Tumba
later down the line. Also see about adding your instruments to your homeowners insurance policy.
~ ISAAC ~
Isaac

Postby slapadrum » Mon May 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks guys the advice was helpfull my worship leader at church says he has some matadors on order.I figure since he does not know alot about congas he probably ordered quinto and conga but I didn't have to buy them so I will not complain.I can always save up for a tumba later.He got them in natural finish so it will be easy to match down the road.
slapadrum

Return to CongaSet and accessories