Wood or Fibreglass. ??

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaCaja » Tue May 03, 2005 3:09 pm

Ah,ha....Volcano Percussion? I thought I has seen that hardware before (on-line only). They look great. How do they play? Are you happy with them?

thanks for the info

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Tue May 03, 2005 4:08 pm

maSSivdrums wrote:CongaCaja & Chris,

The first 2 rows of drums are Volcano Percussion Drums made in Kona, Hawaii. The first row is all Mango Wood drums. The second row is a combination Mango/Koa wood Quinto and Tumba and a Solid Koa wood Conga in the middle. All I can say is they sound as FABULOUS as they look! The third row is my old set of Gon Bops. You can find VP drums at http://www.volcanopercussion.com
Keep on Poundin'!

Aloha, maSSivdrums :cool:

Thanks for your reply man, all very interesting. A collection to be proud of for sure.

Cheers.

Chris. :)
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Postby Jongo » Tue May 03, 2005 4:24 pm

I have played wood and fiberglass and I think that there are definitely venues that call for one or the other depending on that you need. For me I prefer wood, I like the natural warm sound and I will take that over the projection of fiberglass. I don't have anything against fiberglass and I think there are times when they really come in handy but if I was a newbie I would go with wood all the way. I guess I just like the old school, wood congas with natural heads
Jongo

Postby Firebrand » Tue May 03, 2005 6:42 pm

massivdrums,

wow, nice drums...why so many?

I got only two sets, one LP Classic, one LP Fiberglass. Fiberglass for louder settings, wood for quieter settings.

What's the need for so many? In fact, if I was your regular pro conguero, i'd just get one set of wood ones. More versatile.
Firebrand

Postby maSSivdrums » Tue May 03, 2005 10:27 pm

CongaCaja,

All I can say is that these Drums sound fabulous...the combination of steerhide heads and the design of the shell, produces crisp slaps, open tones, and a Tumba that projects so well, it's unreal!

Firebrand,

I'm no pro Conguero, just a collector of what I think are great drums...I recently sold my set of Gon Bops to a friend who was begging me to sell it to him...The Mango/Koa wood set is my private set, which I cherish very much, and it rarely leaves my house...The Mango wood set, which actually belongs to my wife, is the drums that I would take to Gigs and party's to let friends sample some great drums...I know of a Conguero who own 70 drums, and also another Conguero here in Hawaii that has 39 drums...I consider my collection as, small...I'm just a fanatic for Quality Conga
Drums.
:cool:
Aloha, maSSivdrums
maSSivdrums

Postby captainquinto » Wed May 04, 2005 2:31 am

At $1000 to $1500 each I hope they sound like angels singing !! Those are BEAUTIFUL!
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories