Fiberglass over Wood - Are these manufactured anymore?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Quincy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:25 pm

This is a great forum, found by accident while surfing for new heads for a old set of Gon-bops.

I've had these Gon-bops since the mid 70's they have served me well. The Tumba,conga and quinto are wood with fiberglass coating. I've played them in Japan, Canada, London, Amsterdam, all over Texas and where-ever the gig took me.

I will be retiring soon and plan relocating to the Philippines. The Gon-bops i will take with me but wanting to purchase another set for local gigs.

I'm concerned about the high humidity in the Philippines so Fiberglass might be the best buy. If i could find a set made like the Gon-bop fiberglass then it's a done deal.

Anyone know if such a ceature still exists? Wood/fiberglass congas.
Quincy

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:21 am

If you are keen on fibreglass, and concerned with humidity factors and want to take your own congas there, then LP is the way to go, congas to last you a lifetime.

In the LP range, I would reccomend only the best and top line of their range, as the following: (in no order)

Accents Tribal Series:

Accents Armando Peraza series:

Galaxy in fibreglass:

and of course, the original fibreglass conga Patato series:

There is also Matador, which is slightly lower on the scale and in price:

There are also well made filipino congas, but Ive mostly seen them constructed in wood.

For more discussion on wood vs fibreglass, see here:

EARLIER DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE

Or do a search using the search feature on these boards, the topic has been covered a few times.

Cheers.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to CongaSet and accessories